Electra Townie Front Fork Photo for Reference

I'm working on a Townie Conversion. This is the fork from a bike purchased in Jan 2016. So it could be a 2015 or 2016 Model.

This bicycle was manufactured in China. The Model is 7D Tall Frame. The fork I believe is steel (At least that's what I saw in the Specs and it's not Aluminum).

I am posting this photograph for reference for people considering adding a Front Motor to a Townie.

All my notes got wiped out when posting this... and the Browser Glitched.

Anyways... I don't feel like writing the post over again do here is the condensed version.

Torque arm (Grin ebikes.ca) is not bent.. that's an illusion caused by the camera. Had to use a C Washer because of Lawyer Lips. Those lips protrude to the inside as well... leaving less surface area to push the motor against. This is a 9C 2806 that weighs about 19lbs with the Wheel build and tire.

The dropouts are half the thickness of the Surly Long Haul Trucker I have on my other bike. Surly makes solid stuff... this is Cheap Chinese.

I used Blue Loctite on the Nut. Probably not going to push more than 1000 Watts through it so it should work fine.

FWIW, the "lips" are actually stamped into the dropout, which is why the edges stick out on the outside, and are recessed on the inside.

Also, unless you just needed it for thickness, there's no point to using that torque washer, because the dropouts are not deep enough to engage it's "tooth" at all (nor would they be strong enough to resist rotation against it even if they were deep enough).

Leaving that washer off would be better, because the axle nut would be able to engage more threads of the axle (I can't see any axle sticking out, which often means the nut is actually not fully on the axle.

Side note regarding browsers and loss of stuff: I recommend writing up text in Notepad or something similar, very simple and crash-resistant ;), and saving it as a new file every few minutes or changes (or both), and then copy/pasting that into the browser (or wherever) when you're done.

THen you can upload whatever images you want into the post and insert them wherever they go in the text.

Learned this technique maybe three decades back when starting with computers, cuz programmers often suck, and even when they don't, hardware fails, and when neither does, power can. :/

Thanks.

Yes I'm using the washer for spacing so I could get the Torque Arm Aligned... It was just not quite right. So it was easier just to use that and add a small washer between the torqe arms parts to keep them spaced properly.

Thanks for the information on how the lawyer lips are stamped.

Back