Canadian Ebike builders Please help

R84

10 mW
Looking to build a high performance bike looking for resources in Canada. Any info is welcomed.

Goal: 90 km/hr 60km travel hopefully looks close to a stealth bomber

What's your budget? Not gonna be cheap to do that, especially for the battery.

Just some thougths so you have an idea what you may need at those kinds of speeds and distances.

Keep in mind everything below is approximations; you'd have to figure out your own actual numbers to work from, based on your choices for motor, controller, battery type, bike type, terrain, riding style, etc.

At a guess, you'll probably need around 4Kwh of battery for 60km at 90km/h, depending on your actual power usage (which depends on terrain (hills), stops/starts, vehicle+rider weight, weather (wind), etc.). Some of the motorcycles going those speeds average arond 120wh/mile. (

At a guess, based on the two 2kwh packs I have, the battery itself will be around 50-60lbs+ depending on what cells it's made from and how it's built/packaged, and about the same volume as a good stack of hardback books, or nearly a 10gallon fish tank.

What voltage you want will be determined by how fast you need to go vs the motor's kV and any gearing between it and the road. Then the kwh you need divided by the voltage you need gives you the Ah of the pack.

If you want it to acclerate quickly, you may need around 4-8Kw (or more) of power out of the battery. Again, depends on stuff like vehicle+rider weight, etc.

What kind of battery you get will be determined by how much power you need out of it, and the size of the battery you can fit on the bike. If you need 8Kw of power out of it, and its' a 4kwh pack, then it has to support a c-rate of 2c, without much voltage sag or heating. If you need 16kw of power out of it, the same pack has to support 4c. If you only need 4kw out of it, it only has to do 1c.

So, just as in your other thread we tried to help in, you should look at this thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302
and then copy the first posts's questions to a reply in your thread here, along with your answers to those questions.

That will help us help you figure out what you *really* need, and get you building and riding what you actually would enjoy riding. :)

on A regular bike for 60km at 90kph, you'll need ~80wh/km. so close to 4.8Kwh of battery and a motor capable of sustaining that high power. You can cut that in half with a recumbent bike or trike. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Or a motorcycle. Electric or ICE, which would be a lot cheaper..

Me 172 pounds on a good day.
Bike with battery 62kg
Distance needed min 20km
Speed min 65kmphr
Small grade uphill to work and one big hill at the end of my ride, about a 1/2 km long
Battery right now 48v 28.6 Ahr Li-ion
Stealth style bike front and rear suspension
Cycle analysis 3.0
Regen

Anymore info needed let me please know

Bike has 26" wheels
Motor looks like it can 5000w(no name or marks)
Road commuter
No off road
203mm rotor fry and rear
Controller is a 18 mosfet from E.R.T
Maybe 72 volt? No too sure yet, still doing homework
Budget around 1200usd to build a battery maybe using my old one to build on not sure yet.

Hi am in Alberta riding EPLUS drives installed on Biria and TForce ,
I build batteries for both of them. Both A123 20Ah 12S packs.
Now I am switching to NISSAN Leaf cells , building 2 battery packs 11S both.
After riding from Calgary downtown to Cochrane I realized how little WHours I have.

miro13car said:
Hi am in Alberta riding EPLUS drives installed on Biria and TForce ,
I build batteries for both of them. Both A123 20Ah 12S packs.
Now I am switching to NISSAN Leaf cells , building 2 battery packs 11S both.
After riding from Calgary downtown to Cochrane I realized how little WHours I have.

This might be a bit personal, but about how much do you and your bike weigh, and about how much power did you use riding from Downtown Calgary to Cochrane? I live in Cochrane, and will be commuting to Downtown Calgary for 1 day a week. Thought it might be fun to try using the ol' ebike. But that's an ~80km round trip, and the big hill will probably put a large dent in the battery. Might end up having to go just to Tuscany, and hop on the LRT.

What is your intended riding?

Single track?
Commuting on paved roads?

amberwolf said:

Amberwolf is waaay smarter than me and knows 1000x more than I do... I'm just guess he's saying that unfortunately your enthusiasm + parts on hand + budget might not add up to your performance wishes? And trying to save you years of wasted time and money?

I add that if you even think about driving in TO in winter with the salt, even for that one "last ride" on a surprise snow/salted morning it will add huge extra to your care in construction or breakdowns or maintenance costs.

I sympathize with your long commute. What are your start & end points? If you're willing to back it off to 30kph (which is still pretty scary for me personally) it would take you 40min, which probably beats the bus? (and the cars if you're in town). Lottsa ebikes can do this, at a waaaay lower budget, and you can lift it into a bus bike rack when your charger dies.

If I was in TO and had no kids, I'd test drive this;
http://www.daymak.com/e-toys/lamborghini.php
.... + the adult toys they have ...

1JohnFoster said:
Amberwolf is waaay smarter than me and knows 1000x more than I do... I'm just guess he's saying that unfortunately your enthusiasm + parts on hand + budget might not add up to your performance wishes? And trying to save you years of wasted time and money?

No, just that the question I asked in that post he answered by editing it into the post above it, so there wasnt' any point in confusing things by leaving my question. ;)

Atarijdi

I weight 66kg, bike dont know the weight, I used 11WH/km on average according to CAnalist.
The problem is Calgary have patchwork of short pathways here and there and I sure wasted at very least 30% of Whours looking for passage to A1 highway.
Also was looking for opportunity charging another say 10% wasted Whours.
I surprised how smooth and clean shoulder on A1 was.
For safety reasons going from downtown Calgary to Cochrane you want to get on A1 as late as possible.
So I rode 140km both ways including sightseeing your town.

Back