Qulbix 072R build- Controller and battery questions

windchaser

1 mW
I am building a Qulbix 072r. I need some advice on electrical components and a question on battery.

I am going to be using the QS3 motor.

Qulbix now supplies Sabvoton SVMC072150 (72V 6kw) I am also looking at the Adaptto Max-E or mini-E controller as that seems to be the hot setup. Pros and cons for each? which would you use for this application?

Battery- I can either get a custom built 72v/20 to 25Ah- expensive and might take awhile-

or go with the battery packs from Vector- 4sx4=16S        16S*3.7V=59.2V  20Ah, I should be able to just get 4 in the frame.

By dropping from 72 to 59.2V- what difference am i going to see? I am assuming less power- but how perceptable  is it going to be.

Are there any other batteries out there that you would recommend for this build.

thanks

g

You can attach Adaptto controllers to the outside easily, allows for better cooling of the controller, also gives you more internal space for batteries.

The Sabvoton is wayyyyyy cheaper, but its huge in comparison.

I'm a qulbix Q76R owner, not sure what 072R is but I assume you mean the Q76R. Great frame and for my purposes the best frame out there for me. Super thin and you can fit a huge pack, also has the moto seat option.

I always recommend the max-e. It just has so many nice features, but the most important is the safe and easy charging through the controller where you can use a high end computer power supply and the overdrive to be able to hit higher top speeds. The Max-e was probably the best upgrade I have ever done on my bike.

But I never used the Sabvoton. Does it have a screen where you can adjust settings easily? Will it allow you to switch from Sine wave to Sensorless if your halls fail and need to drive back home (saved me multiple times having to push my bike home)? Can you monitor your battery cells right on the screen with a BMS? Can you charge your bike with any high quality computer power supply, or are you stuck using a cheap china charger with it? Does the Sobvoton have overdrive where you can increase your speed by a large factor at a lower voltage?
If you can't do these things with the Sabvoton do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for the Max-e. The last thing you want to do is burn down your house with a cheap china CC charger.

For your battery, what kind of power and range do you want? There is no way to answer this unless you tell us if you are going to race the bike and want all out performance, or just keeping the bike for low speed trips close to your home.

I have learned I just love huge battery packs and always find myself fitting the largest pack I can. The reason is I always found myself limiting my rides. Now I can ride as far as I want, explore new places in my city and I'm not limited by my battery range. I can now drive to the woods which are far away, ride around for hours, then ride back home to my house and still not empty.

But if you are only going to ride 5 or 10 miles maximum, then you may not need a large pack.

Larger packs are always better for many reasons, with the only drawback being a little-added weight. But 5lbs of extra batteries will give you a much larger pack and the weight, because it is centered in the frame, will not make that much of a difference.

For voltage, that also depends on what you want. Are you going to ride around slow like a bicycle, or are you going to have it on the street where you need to keep up with city traffic. I use a 20s or 72 volt pack and found that a good sweet spot.

Dropping from 72 volt to 59 volts you are going to see a reasonable amount of power and top speed loss.

Here is my Q76R and look at the size of the pack, 280 cells of 3500 MAH cells. This is roughly a 72 volt 50 amp hour pack. Words can't describe how much I love this huge pack, it is like having unlimited range. 3KW is the sweet spot for capacity and high power.

Back