Solved - Leaf Bike 1500w hub motor making grinding sounds

bowers

10 mW
Hey

So, I've got a brand new Leaf Bike 1500w rear hub motor. After just a few km of easy cruising (1500w@48v) it started making the noise in the video. When the motor gets a little warmer, the sound disappears.

Anyone with the same experience or a preliminary diagnose?

Video:
https://youtu.be/cmNejgG28zA

Could be a few things: Bearings, a loose hall sensor being rubbed, a magnet being a little out of place that rub. I'm leaning toward something internal rubbing as it goes away when things get warm.

If it is new, I'd contact Leafbike about it - I believe they are pretty good about replacing new motors with issues.

Yeah, contact the company. They do provide support. Even if their web page kinda sucks and they look like a random fly by night Chinese seller, they ain't.

Update:

I've opened the motor and found nothing that looked wrong. However, the rubber seals that rub against the axel looked and felt completely dry so I lubed them up a little.

When running the motor again the sound was there, but after a few seconds it started fainting. After 10 more seconds it was completely gone. So far it seems the seals was the only issue :)

Thanks for the input :)

Solved.

My Leaf motor made a bunch of noise after the first hundred miles cuz the spoke tension was extremely uneven. I torqued all my spokes nice and tight and you probably should too because that is one thing they aren't good about in China.

Oh!
I didn't know it was teh seal.. yeah, my seal makes all kinds of noise and i think i noticed it within a hundred miles or so on the motor. It's not a big deal.. rubber's gonna rub!

Back