Confused about thru axles

jonnybump

1 W
Hi all, I have a question about thru axles - I'm on the lookout for a full suspension frame and it seems most that I'm finding feature thru axles on the front forks and rears.

Now from my research, most of the frames I've come across simply have a hole in the rear of the frame, which I'm assuming the axles slots into and it then tightened up both ends (correct me if I'm wrong). I've found one frame though, that is advertised as thru axle, yet has what appear to be dropouts - I'm assuming this works in the same principal as QR skewers, just replaced with a 12mm axle? So that means then, that my hub motor (or in fact any hub motor) will be, natively, incompatible with this frame?

My question is, is it easier to modify this frame - which already has a form of dropouts - to fit a hub motor, than it is to modify a frame that simply has a hole in the rear of the frame?

What would be everyone's approach to modifying/adapting the frame to fit a hub motor? If I were to fab some plates, I can't see many points that I'd be able to attach them to.

Am I just wasting my time buying this bike to convert? To me it appears well spec'd for the money - Norco Shore 3 with Marzocchi Drop Off Triples, Fox DHX30, Hayes 200mm rotors listed for £270?

Thanks
Jon

These are the dropouts -

framedropout.jpg

It's much, much easier to modify a frame with regular dropouts. And the ones on that frame look flat enough that adding plates shouldn't be too hard...

I can see lots of options for fitting plates to this bike on the brake disc side (using the brake mounting screws), but how would you mount them on the non-brake side, where there are no mounting points?

Thanks

Back