Cycle Analyst V3. Ebraking changes

Rusty

1 µW
Hi,
I've bought a em3ev ebike kit second hand. It has Cycle Analyst V3. The brake ran straight to the controller but I want it to go through CA. I've got the brake to connect to it but the throttle control indicator starts waving around and I don't think it works. Is there something I should do? I thought it would be plug and go.

Thanks

Newbie, feeling stoopid. :?

The V3 CA is a highly configurable device, and it could be setup in any of a number of ways.

Since you don't know it's configuration, your best bet is to go to http://ebikes.ca , then the Cycle Analyst v3 page, then find the link for the Unofficial User's Guide, and follow those instructions to set up the *entire* CA to the way you want it to operate (which may be completely different than the way it is presently setup).

Since you will be better off resetting the CA to it's defaults to get the best setup out of the guide, you should write down each of the existing menu settings first, in case you need to change them back.

Alternately you can get the USB-serial cable from Grin Tech / ebikes.ca and use the software on their CA page to download the existing configuration to save on your computer before resetting the CA.

Rusty said:
Hi,
I've bought a em3ev ebike kit second hand. It has Cycle Analyst V3. The brake ran straight to the controller but I want it to go through CA. I've got the brake to connect to it but the throttle control indicator starts waving around and I don't think it works. Is there something I should do? I thought it would be plug and go.

Thanks

Newbie, feeling stoopid. :?
By "throttle control indicator starts waving around" do you mean it looks a little like a brake lever moving? That's what it looks like when it works. If​ it is doing that without the brake​ lever being closed, then you need to adjust the settings.

Rusty said:
Unfortunately, your post has no details about the motor, CA firmware version, or what has prompted you to move the brake connection to the CA. A problem description of "throttle control indicator starts waving around" is meaningless - no display values or mention/picture of exactly 'which' throttle indicator you are discussing.
So - with little to go on, here's some thoughts:

• You will need to wire the ebrakes differently depending on whether you have a mid-drive/gear motor or have DD and want regen to work. Examine section "5.4 Ebrakes" of the [strike]Un[/strike]official User Guide to see the various wiring configurations and reasons why you would choose a particular scheme.
    >>>Verify that your wiring matches the desired behavior/features.

• EM3EV pre-configures their CAs prior to sale to match the kit. Normally, this gets a lot of questions off the table but since yours is second hand, there may have been some tinkering. From the post you don't mention any operational problems before or after hooking up the ebrakes, so on the face of it there is no good reason to mess with the configuration to address the ebrake issue. The entire setup may be worth reviewing later, but I would put it aside for the moment as a can of worms you don't want to open....

• I'm guessing you have the CA loaded with 3.0x firmware - the only production release that a vendor would load. This is displayed on the splash screen at power up. The previous owner may have loaded 3.1 beta firmware which has new ebrake stuff, but let's guess that didn't happen.
    >>>Verify the version.

• So -- CA 3.0x firmware has exactly (1) configuration parameter for ebrakes ( ThrO->BrakeOut ) which sets the throttle voltage when ebrakes are applied. This defaults to 0V and there is no reason to change it for the kinds of controllers that EM3EV sells. In 3.0x there are no other settings that affect ebrake operation. Since you don't mention the motor doing funky stuff when the ebrakes are applied, I'm guessing this is still at the 0V default.
    >>>Check this.

• When ebrakes are attached to the CA and applied, the throttle indicator turns into an animated ebrake icon - perhaps this is what you meant by 'waving around' (??). If this is happening, then the ebrake hookup is working. You can verify this by applying throttle and then applying ebrakes - the motor should cut out. You can see this on the Throttle OUT voltage field of the Diagnostics screen (1 screen to left of Main) where the voltage should fall to ThrO->BrakeOut when you apply the brakes.
    >>>Check that the main screen throttle icon and the Diagnostic screen OUT voltage behave as expected.

• Above all else, the CA3 is not a plug'n'play device that you can figure out by messing around with settings. Use the manual. Think of this as more like hooking up a home theater system than plugging in a toaster. Setup has gotten much more intuitive in the 3.1 firmware, but that's still in beta...

Back