BBSHD with Ludicrous Controller Surging Issues?

Endmile

1 µW
Greetings All!

Great forum you have here!

Yesterday I swapped out a BBSHD (because of there being way too much play in the crank) with a new replacement sent to me under warranty. Things went relatively smooth except for trying to get all the wires tucked into the ludicrous controller and a few other minor issues. While I was wrenching I decided to throw on my new 36T chainring as well. So today I took it for a quick test ride and while riding it is surging badly almost surging feeling like battery is going to die. While riding I was checking amps on LCD and with PAS and riding on flat, the amps would surge to 7 amps then down to 2 amps then up to 10 amps then down to 3 amps. I checked the magnet alignment on the speed sensor and it was indicating red as it should. Also, no different programming than I had before the motor swap. I am seriously praying it is something outside of having to take that controller off again and look at connections.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!

Sad in Michigan....

The bike is:
KHS 3000
BDSHD with ludicrous controller
52v 13.5ah shark battery
DCP-14 display

I'd suspect something in the programming. Do you have a programming cable?
On mine, I gave up on the PAS altogether and snipped the grey wire to disable it. I use throttle only. So much better for trail riding.

Thanks for your reply! Yes I do have a programming cable and have kinda been down that path already. The programming is the same as it was prior (two days ago) to the motor swap and the PAS was fine and very smooth. I do have photos of the programming that the bike was sent with, everything would be the same except for I turned down the amps from 30 amps to 22 amps. It came from Luna at 30 amps.

The only other thing I can think of is a bad connection or short to the PAS sensor. It's hard to pack all the wires in the compartment without smashing anything. It could possibly be a defective controller, but usually they work identically or not at all.

Thanks I appreciate it. I opened up the controller last night and found that the green phase wire connector was super loose. In fact it fell off once I pulled off the controller cover. Obviously not good, but not sure if that would create the surging, but probably.

Whelp I thought I had this one figured out, but NOPE! I thought that the green phase wire connector being loose would have to be the issue. But I put controller back on and went to do another test ride and the LCD was reading Error Code 8. So then I remove controller again and unplug and replug everything and Error Code 8 goes away but back to the PAS surging. Very frustrating.

Back