hall wire question. 5 or 6?

EZgo

1 W
I have A 2012 9C HUB MOTOR with 6 HALL WIRES & the white wire came off the little circuit board. (I THINK) This is 500 to 1000 watt 9c that Ebikekit.com uses.

Pictures attached.

I was making some wiggle room to install the thermasistor wires through the axle slot when I suddenly ended up with a white wire that was not connected to anything. I assumed it came off the hall sensor circuit board although I really did not pull on those wires. Maybe just a sub par solder job.

I looked at the solder connections on the circuit board & the wire its self with a magnifying glass & cannot see any solder on the wire nor any solder connection on the board that appears to have ever had a wire soldered to it.

I took a part an older 9c & that does not use a circuit board & has only 5 wires & white is not one of them. Most of the pictures I have looked at in endless sphere show 5 wires and the directions usually mention 5 wires as well.

Is it possible the white wire was never connected to begin with & it was stuck inside the heat wrap with the rest of the wires. Im really stumped?

On my geared mini-motors, the wht. wire goes to a speed sensor.
I believe on some motors, it could be a temp. sensor.
Since I don't see either on the PCB, suspect the wht. wire is unused.
Probably the reason it's there, is the connector cable is made to be used on on motors that have an extra sensor.

the white wire is optional for a speed or temperature sensor. With everything connected and powered up, except the white wire, measure the voltage between the white wire and ground, while you turn the motor slowly by hand. If the voltage goes 5v on and off, it's a speed sensor. if it stays static somewhere between 0v and 5v, it's a temperature sensor.

Thank you very much. I talked to Jason at Ebukekit.com & he told me the same thing. I should have asked that question before I spent 3 hrs trying to figure it out my self. Oh well, That"s how we learn.

Last question. I use a V3 Cycle Analyst. I've been successfully using it's speedometer function. I assume the CA does not need that white wire either?

Thanks again.

You could use one of the Hall sensor wires (usually yellow) for speedometer information to your CA V3. Or, it may already be doing that if you have a CA V3 connector from your controller. I believe you select 23 poles in the setup menu or thereabouts?

As far as the white wire, use it to carry the temp sensor signal you were trying to install a wire for when you opened this up. You'll need the 5VDC negative black wire for ground.

Back