Help Opening Old Hub Motor

Gully.Moy

1 mW
I'm trying to get an old e trike going I picked up recently. Think I've narrowed the fault down to the motor, wheel won't turn backwards so think it's seized somehow inside and only moving on the freewheel. I have made a thread about it here but replies seem to have dried up so thought I'd start a new one with the problem I'm facing now - opening the motor. It's some Chinese 36V 250W motor, I'm assuming brushless geared:

The hub cover is aluminium and appears to screw off. It has 4 notches around the centre which look like you could get a tool on to undo, but I don't know where I'd get a tool for it. They already had damage in the clockwise direction as if someone's been doing everything they can to tightern it.

I imagine it would be like this one from Bafang, but no idea if that one would fit:
bafang-8fun-bldc-hub-motor-openning-wrench.jpg

I've soaked in WD40 and tried hitting them with hammer and screwdriver but it's just messing up the notches and not moving a mil. So I was thinking about attacking it with a hack saw and then seeing id I can drill some new bolts through to keep it together again afterwards.

Just wondering if anyone has any last suggestions before I destroy it?

You need a tool of some sort to turn those slots. It helps a lot to warm up the hub with a hot air gun to a temperature, where it's just about too hot to touch.

It's a Xiongda motor. They don't cost much and you can order them directly from Xiongda (bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn). They might be able to provide the tool. They're always very helpful.

Before anything, did you check the backward rotation when disconnected from the controller? It's a lot more likely that the controller failed and it will give exactly the problem you described, but only when connected to it.

Id just put a proper motor for a trike on it, a lower rpm direct drive motor.

I just noticed also that it has at least one grub screw in the edge next to the spokes, which is there to lock into the thread and stop it from coming undone. That might mean that it's a left-hand thread. I've seen both left and right-hand threads. Whatever it is, the grub-screw/s have to come out first.

Back