BionX repair

vax

100 W
OK, here's the situation:
I have older BionX hub motor kit on city bike for repair here. Initially the owner wanted to replace the battery, which was dead (0V).
So, we ordered a new BionX battery for him, but that didn't bring the bike into life.
Now, when I switch it on, the display starts flickering and that's all.
I'm already starting to think replacing everything - controller, BMS, charger - to standard chinese components.
I understand BionX system has in-hub controller? Do they have hall sensors? How powerful controller would be safe bet?

I think it's the same kit as here:
https://www.electricbike.com/bionx/

You have to unspoke them in order to open them because the two halves join between the spokes. I can't remember if they have hall sensors, but it should be onvious when you open it.

They're almost impossible to diagnose without the special diagnosis system. Probably the best thing would be to remove the standard controller and use a standard external one. The Kunteng controllers with LCDs are pretty good because they have nice PAS control without a torque sensor.

Bionix is a pita to repair, at least on mine the controller is inside the motor - like if they said: lets put everything that generates heat inside one closed case - what could happen?
As is the torque sensor that was glued onto axle with wrong glue, getting to soft when heating up, now slowing detaching..
The first bikes they sold regularly got fried on long uphills, they solved the problem by simply reducing power when motor runs hot now.
So after riding about half an hour in the sunshine you are suddenly left with an underpowered tank at the next steep hill.. Meeh!

To open motor you do not only need to unspoke, but you might need a special workbench and large tool as well to hold it tight, so you can apply the torque to slip it open.
I know people in germany doing it, but they charge around 200 €. For this price you can get a new motor (without such design flaws like a build in controller..)
So before you buy a new controller check how many contacts the huge plug that goes into motor has. In my case its only two, so the controller is inside motor.
You can´t connect an external controller to such a motor.

The hole communication between battery, motor and LCD is CAN bus, so you will need a tinycan or similar PC adapter to monitor it:
http://www.mhs-elektronik.de/index.php?module=artikel&action=artikel&id=16
Might need to study a bit to make all this work. It all might not be worth the effort... this crap was overengineered by purpose,
to make it impossible to use generic batteries or repair without license.

In your case I would take good time to check all the cables and most important in case you have one: the contacts that connect the slip-on LCD to the bike.
Those are prone to collect dirt. Clean everything, check if all plugs sit tightly, maybe pray a little to your favorite god if you have any. Give a little kick to wake up maybe? :roll:
If all this does not help find somebody with a tinycan so you can take a look inside the communication between the different parts.

Wish you good luck, I gave up on repairing mine..

vax,
I think you and your friend got all this backwards.
Battery was dead?
Some of the cells went so low, terminal voltage so low that charger would not recognize battery.
You should concentrate on rebuilding battery than.
Battery electronics is probably still OK.
Investigate how many in series and how many in paraller - what configuration.
Disconnect string of cells from electronics and try to charge cells directly - that is common way to wake up string of cells.
I cells damaged beyond repair ?
makeshift original configuration of cells with 36V , connect to Bionix batt electronics and try if they are still OK?
Instead -
You simply bought BIONX battery which will not communicate with system , because software version.

BIONX Is lovely e bike PAS system controlled by software , well designed with overtemp. protection, overcurrent protection , with accurate /I mean accurate SOC Columb count based/ State of Charge, no shoddy voltage based "indicators here, you get what you pay for.
Not everybody needs 1000W or even 500W,
BIONX even older is wonderful exercise machine with torque PAS sensor, most cheap PAS drives are only speed sensors - primitive.

Back