Delta/Wye switching on an H4065

Hyperious

1 mW
I currently have a Crystalyte H4065. I want to eventually add a delta/wye switch to the motor phases so I can up the top speed to something more road reasonable than maxing out at 35mph. I do have 2 questions though;

1) what's the torque loss ratio compared to one another when switching between delta and wye configurations? Would I still have enough twisting force on hand to get my fat ass moving faster than just leaving it in it's factory Delta config?

2) what would it do to the current regen function I rely on as a rear brake? Can regen even run through a switching relay like that?

Thanks.

Hopefully you'll actually reply to this thread, as you haven't ever done so to the others where people have replied to you, so we can't know if we're helping you or if you're even reading the replies.

Hyperious said:
1) what's the torque loss ratio compared to one another when switching between delta and wye configurations?
Inverse of the speed gain ratio.

2) what would it do to the current regen function I rely on as a rear brake?
Depends on how yours works. If yours is simple generator-voltage-based braking, then if it increases the voltage generated (by the same ratio as the speed increase), then what the controller does with that determines results.

In that case, if controller has a regen voltage limit, then if it increases voltage above that limit, controller will do whatever it does there (probably not regen at all until speed drops low enough to drop voltage enough to be below them limit, then act normally).

In the same case, if controller has no regen voltage limit, and the controller's components can handle the extra voltage without damage, and the controller is not already at it's current limit, then it would increase the current from regen and thus increase the braking. If it's already at it's limit it wont' change anything.

If the controller does regen by generating it's own counter-rotation pulses, then the higher voltage at the motor would tend to negate some of the current from teh pulses, decreasing braking by the same ratio it decreases the motor torque, most likely.

You'd have to actually try it to know what the actual results with your specific setup are.

Can regen even run through a switching relay like that?
Yes; regen is exactly the same path as motor use.

amberwolf said:
Hopefully you'll actually reply to this thread, as you haven't ever done so to the others where people have replied to you, so we can't know if we're helping you or if you're even reading the replies.

You guys are, I saw your previous posts, just been busy is all. Thanks for the help

Back