EM3EV 3-speed switch - configure for presets?

oldwahoo54

10 W
Does anyone know if I can re-configure my 3-speed switch to select presets vs proportional limits? I have an older battery that I'd like to have a completely different mode for: lower speed limit AND lower max-watts or max-amps. Oh yeah, I have the CA V3.

It should be possible, but I haven't done that specifically (just a 3-speed watt limit, IIRC).

If you look in Teklektik's UUG (available here on ES or on http://ebikes.ca 's site), the instructions on how to do that should be in there.

There's also discussion on it in the CA v3 beta thread started by JustinLE, but it would likely take more reading to find, and may not be as complete.

Yes, I have the manual, and had googled it and searched endless-sphere before posting. I did find a thread later on the subject, and made some changes using the CA-V3 utility, but the switch doesn't seem to change anything, nor can I change to a different preset from the unit itself (changing batteries works fine). Am waiting for an email back from em3ev, then we'll see.

Hmm. Maybe it doesn't work the way I thought I remembered, then. :( Or possibly there's a difference in the V3 firmware either in yours or the one I worked with. Do you know which version you have? (it shows during the CA boot time)

oldwahoo54 said:
Does anyone know if I can re-configure my 3-speed switch to select presets vs proportional limits?... Oh yeah, I have the CA V3.
oldwahoo54 said:
...I ... made some changes using the CA-V3 utility, but the switch doesn't seem to change anything, nor can I change to a different preset from the unit itself (changing batteries works fine).

Unfortunately, you did not tell us what version of firmware you are running (spalsh screen) or what "some changes" were exactly, so there's no way to diagnose your issue.

The Aux configuration is quite different for the production 3.0x and newer beta 3.1 firmware, but assuming you are using the 3.0x firmware, here are some bits that are covered in the Guide in sections "5.6 Auxiliary Pot" and "Appendix G. Configurable Aux Pot 3-Position Switch Using Fixed Resistors" :

1. You must be using a CA 3-pos switch, not the plain old controller 3-pos switch.
  2. "yes" you can control presets with the an Aux switch (either 2 or 3 position). When you have configured the Aux Function for 'presets', the 'hot swap' mode from the console buttons cannot work since the preset is controlled by the switch setting...
  3. The Section preview screen shows the active voltage from the switch and should change when you flip the switch. The standard (Grin) 3-pos switch voltages are 1.66V, 2.5V, 3.33V. If you do not get these voltages then either your switch is not working or it may use different resistors and must be configured differently.
  4. To make 'Presets' mode work for that firmware version, you must also set AuxMinIn and AuxAxIn to 1V and 4V respectively.

Since you experienced the 'hot swap' failure in (2) above, you seem to have selected 'Presets'. My guess is that you either have the wrong switch type or have not done the configuration in (4). Doing steps (3) and (4) should fix things or identify the cause of the issue.

Back