!0 Speed Freewheel Help Needed

So had a crazy idea on converting a road bike over to electric. Picked up a Sunrace 10 speed freewheel and when I thread it on, it seems to start binding against something the tighter it gets. Do I need spacers behind it or something? Perplexed as to what is causing the binding.

DNP makes a 10 freewheel made for hub motors. But yes yours can lock on the cover you can use spacers like the ones used on bottom brackets.

After you fix the back of the freewheel from rubbing, you need to sort out the other end. Normally, the top gear rubs on the frame. For one that wide, you need one or two washers on the axle to bring it clear. You then need to check whether the rim is central. Normally, a 10 speed needs a big offset in the rim, which is what makes 10-speed unfeasible.

There's a newer narrow 10 speed freewheel from DNP, but I haven't seen any sellers selling it yet.

Some times the problem with screw on 10 speed on a motor, is when you get the spacer stack sorted out, you have no axle length left to include a torque arm, or even get the nut fully threaded on.

Just depends on the motor, and I wanted to point that out to others, before they spend money on a freewheel. Look at that axle first, if you don't have any extra now, you will be short once you stack on a thick spacer.

tried every washer combo possible both metal and plastic and many different combos of both. ended up returning the hub as the freewheel does go on to my ultra motors from old strommers and a2bs just fine without binding.

Back