Loosing sync when leaning and warm (HS3540)

Goethe

10 W
Hi!

My HS3540 paired with a sinewave controller stutters when I lean in curves and put on some throttle. When the motor is cold there are no issues. But the warmer the motor gets the less lean angle and less amps it takes to get this problems. If I keep on riding It will get this problem even if the bike is not leaning.
I mounted the sensors myself and my first thought was that something is rubbing against a cable or leg of a sensor. But then it's a little bit weird that it gets worse when pushing more amps.

Any input are really appreciated before I pull the crap apart!

/Göran

Sounds like you have bad connection on your phases. What type of connectors are you using and how many amps?

If it only happens when leaning, then there may be a bearing issue in addition to the electrical issue.

But it could also be because of the construction of the HS35xx series, which routes the wire at a sharp angle out of the cover just inboard of the dropout face.

If the wire insulation is damaged (probably inside the outer jacket), and especially if the motor has a bearing issue allowing it to move a bit back and forth on the axle, then as you lean it could put pressure on the wire against the dropout and the axle shoulder or the motor cover (wearing thru the insulation more).

When it's hot things expand, so anything uninsulated is more likely to touch and short.

It could be completely unrelated to that, and just be a phase connection that is slightly loose, and when overheated is having it's housing push things apart just enough to cause a worse connection rpoblem, which then heats more and disconnects more, till it stutters as the connection arcs and breaks/reconnects the connection.

Or just a bad hall connection.

Or a hall sensor that's failing from overheating as the motor heats up.

Or a bearing issue allowing the motor cover/rotor to slide on the axle during a lean that then causes cover rubbing on the hall wiring on the stator, casuing a short that stutters as the mtoor spins and the ribs on the cover touch / rub on the wires, etc.

Probably even more possibilities than those.

I use Anderson pp45. They dont look so happy so I will change those for something

Thanks for the good inputs!

Back