Spokes for 8fun motor

Roncos

1 mW
Hi All

I have an 8fun motor BSFWX02 48V350W. I am wondering about the correct gauge of spoke. The flange holes are 3.2mm diameter which suggests 10g spokes. But the documentation, such that it is, suggests 12/13g. Any advice?

Regarding the spoke length. I used an online calculator which, after much measurement of motor flanges axle etc told me that I needed 18x 230mm spokes and 18x232mm spokes. I am thinking that I don't need to get custom made spokes or go to the trouble of filing down longer spokes. Is 36x234mm going to be ok??

That's a small motor, so using light stretch-capable spokes will be the best. 14g butted Sapims are the best of the affordable camp, IMO.

I always use straight 14g spokes for motors like that. Butted 13g/14g would be better.

I've spoked a couple of wheels and my first spoke job was with spokes that were about 3-4 mm too long. I was using double walled rims, so the extra length never got close to poking out of the rim, but the spoke nipples were running out of thread, and it seemed obvious to me that I was not going to be able to pull the spokes taut after I got half the spokes in.

So I would say that if the calculator says 230/232, and you have 234's. you will be too long. You might be able to make it work with washers under the nipples, or maybe you can get shorter nipples.

There are also washers available for the hooked end of the spoke. I have used them too, because my 13G-14G butted spokes were on the small side for the wheel holes.

Back