kalkhoff ergo with impulse 2 motor

thechod

1 mW
hi does anyone have photos or instructions on how to take apart the motor as it is now making a clacking noise could be bearing who knows but fixing it would be great thanks

You forgot to put your location in your profile. Please update so that we can give appropriate advice.

d8veh said:
You forgot to put your location in your profile. Please update so that we can give appropriate advice.

Will change it but im in north london thanks

If you decide to dismantle yours, work from the right hand side. You shouldn't need to take the motor off the left side. All its connectors are on the right side anyway.

It would probably be a futile effort to dismantle it. If that bearing goes, the gears wilĺ most likely be damaged and no spare parts are available.

If you live in London, you should have a word with 50 Cycles, who are the UK importers. IMHO, from what I've read and been shown, they're very slimy and arrogant and pugnacious, and they will try to getout of their responsibilities. If you try to make any demands, they'll cut you off, so be careful and diplomatic in what you say. Derby Cycles the German parent company has promised to sort out all these motors even though the guarantee has expired, but they will only help you through your dealer. All dealers know about this, but when you go there it's like they've never heard of the problem before. They try and rip you off for the cost of the motor, but it should be free. They should only charge for the labour and maybe shipping. The job of changing the motor would take them less than an hour. It's very easy to do. 50 Cycles are no longer the UK importers. They'll try and use that to get out of their responsibilities too, but they were when the bike was originally sold. If you bought the bike from them, they're obliged to sort it, as i had this design fault.

If all else fails, you can get the replacement motor from Germany for about £400 with shipping. Details are in the linked thread above.

d8veh said:
If you decide to dismantle yours, work from the right hand side. You shouldn't need to take the motor off the left side. All its connectors are on the right side anyway.

It would probably be a futile effort to dismantle it. If that bearing goes, the gears wilĺ most likely be damaged and no spare parts are available.

If you live in London, you should have a word with 50 Cycles, who are the UK importers. They're very slimy and arrogant, and will try to getout of their responsibilities. If you try to make any demands, they'll cut you off, so be careful and diplomatic. Derby Cycles the German parent company has promised to sort out all these motors even though the guarantee has expired, but they will only help you through your dealer. All dealers know about this, but when you go there it's like they've never heard of the problem before. They try and rip you off for the cost of the motor, but it should be free. They should only charge for the labour and maybe shipping. The job of changing the motor would take them less than an hour. It's very easy to do.

Once again great advice many thanks

If all else fails, you can get the replacement motor from Germany for about £400 with shipping. Details are in the linked thread above.

thechod said:
d8veh said:

If you live in London, you should have a word with 50 Cycles, who are the UK importers. They're very slimy and arrogant, and will try to getout of their responsibilities. If you try to make any demands, they'll cut you off, so be careful and diplomatic. Derby Cycles the German parent company has promised to sort out all these motors even though the guarantee has expired, but they will only help you through your dealer. All dealers know about this, but when you go there it's like they've never heard of the problem before. They try and rip you off for the cost of the motor, but it should be free. They should only charge for the labour and maybe shipping. The job of changing the motor would take them less than an hour. It's very easy to do.

thechod said:
Second hand virtualy new then.
I think its 2014/15 model
2016 miles now
Classic example of the failure then. Unfortunately, 50 Cycles have no obligations to you, but it might be worth contacting them to see what they offer before shelling out £400 for the replacement motor. Let us know what they say.

The replacement motor will give you at least another two years use at £200 a year, which is cheaper than the depreciation on a new bike, so I think it's worth doing, and I bet you like that Kalkhoff too - when it's running properly.

d8veh said:
thechod said:
2016 miles now
Classic example of the failure then. Unfortunately, 50 Cycles have no obligations to you, but it might be worth contacting them to see what they offer before shelling out £400 for the replacement motor. Let us know what they say.

The replacement motor will give you at least another two years use at £200 a year, which is cheaper than the depreciation on a new bike, so I think it's worth doing, and I bet you like that Kalkhoff too - when it's running properly.

Oh absolutly...love it, such a comfortable ,solid load lugger that i realy hammer over those speed humps and particularly the way the magura rim brakes just stop you dead. Without even the bike flinching or chucking you over the handlebars (like my old specialized comp)

But to me, the flaws are that motor failure and the silly design of the rear whell nuts needing tightening at least every 2 weeks to make sure chain is tight and not becoming slack and causing crank to clank

d8veh said:
thechod said:
2016 miles now

well 50cycles just updated the software for the motor and the nuvinci hub for free,but thats it
because i couldnt produce proof of purchase they will not go any further with replacing motor.
so looks like i have to buy a new updated impulse 2 motor (impulse 2.2 )

where can i get the best deal on that
thanks

thechod said:

thanks

Everything you need to know here. You need the serial number off the bottom of the motor. Email it to the Germans and ask them for a price for the replacement motor and shipping. You have to send the old motor to them:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/kalkhoff-replacement-motor.28906/

d8veh said:
thechod said:

thanks

Everything you need to know here. You need the serial number off the bottom of the motor. Email it to the Germans and ask them for a price for the replacement motor and shipping. You have to send the old motor to them:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/kalkhoff-replacement-motor.28906/

yep was a little worried as for a while that webpage/deal was gone. but it seems they are still doing it for 379 euro plus around £9 to ship to uk (you have to ship your old motor to them at your cost) and you have to send them your motor first before they send the new one.
all thanks all!

Does anyone knows similar service for Impulse Evo RS. Mine just started acting crazy. Warranty is over and is 2300km only.

Back