Throttle UK

Wheely

1 µW
I'm looking for help regarding twist throttles. My new bike has one, but I would like to use it more as a cruise setting facility, and to ride with throttle feathering. The problem is probably aired before, namely that braking will not cancel it, so on releasing the brakes power is restored which is undesireable.
Using it as a control for the level of assist is therefore not practicable, and when it is left at zero, power deliverded as pedal assist occurs is unlimited up to 15 mph cut off. I believe twist throttles are also illegal in UK now unless the rider has to intervene continuously to keep it so.
Is there any way of ot being only enabled when pedalling?
Any suggestions welcome, thanks, Robert.

Throttles are not illegal in the UK, nor anywhere else. The rule in other EU countries and Australia is that power must stop when you stop pedalling. As long as you're pedalling, you can use a throttle, but there's no point because it's much easier to use a 5-level PAS system or torque control system.

In UK it's illegal to sell a bike with an independent full-range throttle, but we have a sort of concession on using them, so it's not illegal to use one on your bike. Don't ask me to explain it. It's extremely complicates why we have this situation.

Rather than mess about with throttles, get yourself a KT controller with an LCD and 5 levels of power control. It's so much easier than a throttle. You just pedal to get power and stop pedalling when you don't want it. What could be simpler?

If you must stick with your throttle idea, use a thumb throttle and take the spring out. Clamp it against something to give it a bit of friction so that it stays in place. Set it to the speed you want, then use the brake switch to switch it on and off, but beware, it's easy to forget about it when you stop with the brakes. I nearly kicked down my front door and ran over my mate when I stopped and forgot that I needed to keep the brake on to keep the motor quiet. When you switch on your bike, the throttle needs to be in the zero position because the controller won't give power until it sees the zero throttle signal.

Thank you for your advice. I agree that the pas only system which I have used successfully for some years on my fold up Hopper is to be much preferred to the twist throttle arrangement.
This is why I would like to dispense with throttle on my new bike.
I will look into replacing the controller as you suggest, since there seems no other way of arriving at the desired setup.Thanks Robert.

Doesn't a KT controller lock into cruise control when the throttle is held constant for some set time, if the cruise function is enabled via software and wire jumpers? And I believe braking cancels it too.

I don't normally ride with throttle, but one time my luggage rack came loose and tipped back far enough to act as a brake on the rear wheel. The controller was mounted under the rack and it pulled out the pedal sensor connector. All I knew was that I could barely pedal my bike and there was no assist, so I used the throttle to help me keep going. I was surprised when the cruise kicked in. I finally stopped and saw what was wrong. Since then, I've disabled the cruise on that bike. KT controller with LCD3 display. Has torque simulation, but not a sine wave model.

docw009 said:
Doesn't a KT controller lock into cruise control when the throttle is held constant for some set time, if the cruise function is enabled via software and wire jumpers? And I believe braking cancels it too.
Most have optional cruise by joining two blue wires. I wouldn't leave the wires all the time unless you add an optional momentary switch.

d8veh said:
docw009 said:
Most have optional cruise by joining two blue wires. I wouldn't leave the wires all the time unless you add an optional momentary switch.

Very interesting! I have read before in other posts where members have talked about KT controllers locking into cruise control after a period of time on constant throttle.

I have 2 Fatbikes, built new this year. One is my Daughter's with KT 25amp 48v, square wave controller, with LCD3 display, and a KT 8 magnet PAS sensor with Wuxing Thumb throttle, driving a 1000w hub motor. The other is my Fattie with KT 45a, 48v simulated sinewave controller, KT LCD6 display, KT-D12L PAS sensor and Wuxing twist throttle driving a Mxus 3000w V2.

Neither of our bikes lock onto cruise control on a constant throttle opening. Both bikes only enter cruise control when the correct button on the 3 button KT pad is depressed, as per KT instructions.

All the other KT functions work normally.. 5 levels of PAS, Throttle control from 0 speed, etc, etc..

It's very strange, isn't it!

Back