Electric Enduro Frame controller heating inside the frame?

TheJay

1 µW
Hello all fellow ebikers!

I have finally decided to order a better frame for my ebike and and i am going to use my old setup which consists of following parts:
Hallomotor 1500w hub motor ferrofluided.
12 FET IRFB4110 Infineon controller.
75v Diy Battery.

I am currently pulling maximum of 3500 watts (Gets me going 70 km/h :mrgreen: ) and controller only gets mildly warm because it gets proper ventilation. I was planning to put controller inside the Electric Enduro frame because i love the clean look of it. Will my controller overheat?

Waiting for your answers!

That 12 FET controller can hit 200+ degrees F in normal operation at 1000 watts. It's designed to, and is the reason it has that cooling fin texture to the case. In your use, it may never hit that kind of temp, but it wouldn't be abnormal if it did. These controllers run cool when there isn't much load on the motor, but when you get bogged down by a hill or by riding hard with constant acceleration, their temps spike.

And you're pushing 3500 watts through it.

And you want to stuff it in a metal box with your battery and no air flow.

It might never be a problem. but all that heat is going to be trapped with your battery. And your battery will be producing it's own heat too.

So to answer your question: It Absolutely will overheat, under the right conditions. You may never be under those conditions. 12 FET controllers are cheap. batteries aren't. Call it Russian Roulette. If you win, you get a bike that looks cleaner. if you lose, you replace the controller. If you lose bad, you replace the battery too.

If I had a controller or any device with a significant heat output inside the enduro frame I would ventilate it. If you don't want to compromise in aesthetics, adding a high CFM fan in the area under the seatpost mounting bracket is something that has been done before, and as long as the intake on the bottom is not blocked, would provide substantial cooling. Obviously you need to cut out that bit of the plastic frame though.

Back