Unknown Controller

captain387

100 W
Hi everyone,

I have received an unknown pedal first controller and was hoping someone might have seen this type before.

The controller works fine at 36 volts and I am hoping to take it up to 48 volts but cannot determine what the max voltage is.

I took a look at all the visible caps on the board, but they were obviously not the imput caps, 16 volts, and 100 volts for the phase I'm assuming...

I didn't see any markings on the board for model type or serial number.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Jeremy

Pic1.JPG
Pic2.JPG
Pic3.JPG
Pic4.JPG

2 things to consider about controllers;
1)They are the ebike components that have advanced the most in the last couple of years.
2)They are the least expensive and easiest major component to replace.
Although I could tell more about it from looking and the connectors and wires, it appears to be an older, low-power, genaric controller, nothing special.
If you intend to use it on a low-powered "assist"(PAS) system, I would suggest you look at the new sine wave "KT" controllers from PSW Power;

http://www.pswpower.com/peng/pic.asp

W/ Current controlled 5-level PAS limiting, they offer a much better rider experience w/ PAS.

Even the new low-cost square wave, "soft start" controller from E Life Bike would be a much nicer controllder to use than that antique. They are avail. on Ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/usr/diyebike2010?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Lastly, if you are mating the controller to a battery chem. that needs a LVC, like LiPoly, going higher in Volts with that 36 V controller will render the LVC useless.

I agree with Motomech. You could use the opportunity to get a better controller. What's it for? Why do you want to change to 48v?

I would say that there's a fair chance that it'll work at 48v, though you'll lose the low voltage cut-off, so you'll need a way of managing that yourself.

Thanks for the info and links, looks like a few good options for future builds.

This controller is going on a winter beater bike, with a front hub motor (steel forks double clamping torq arms) and planning on running it at 15 amps. I have a CA for system monitoring. and plan on riding at about 30 km/h max.

Reason for the 48 v was because my main bike has a 48 v battery pack which I won't be using in the winter.

So I did some testing again with a power supply and with everything hooked up to a hub motor 9c (assuming fast wind), at 40 v the CA showed 47 km/h and when I bumped it up to 50 v the CA showed went up to 70 km/h + and was spinning really fast.

So long story short it will run at 50 v for how long, who knows. I will make a 36v battery as it is running to fast at 48 v and I need to double check the CA settings to ensure the speed is reading accurately.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Back