Shengyi Motors

2old

100 kW
I have two identical appearing Shengyi 36V, 350w front hub motors built with identical spokes and 26" rims. Operating them with a 15 amp controller and 36V, 17.5 a-h battery, highest PAS level, one goes 23.1 mph and one 20.1 mph on the stand (no load), so apparently different winds. I a$$ume the "slower" one should have better hill climbing prowess. Correct?

The slower one will have better efficiency at low speed. The efficiencies change with speed, so which one climbs best depends on the speed at which you ae climbing.

Thank you for your reply; should help since the places where I ride off road on this bike don't lend themselves to high speed. I know my BBS02 is better for these ascents, but on occasion I like a different ride.

Provided the controller can't put out more than 30/35A phase current, the slower motor may have about 10% higher torque at startup (under 7-8mph) and will be a hair more efficient. Not much of a difference though...

2old said:
I have two identical appearing Shengyi 36V, 350w front hub motors built with identical spokes and 26" rims.

Put one in the front and one in the rear for a 2wd bike. Then it will climb just as good or even better than your BBS02! 8)

If they have identical copper fill, they climb with equal efficiency no matter the windings Kv.

The lower kV unit will potentially reduce controller losses.

A 1 turn climbs with exactly the efficiency of a 10 turn, and it draws no added power from the pack to do it, but it does place more burden on the controller to buck the pack voltage to the voltage the motor uses during the climb.

Or use the front in the rear. Squeeze the dropouts together if you need to to make the axle fit. If you need a pedal chain but don't change gears much, keep the triple on the cranks (and leave teh derailer on the rear as a tensioner) and use a singlespeed freewheel on the rear, by adding a threaded flange like this:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37837&hilit=front+rear

liveforphysics said:
A 1 turn climbs with exactly the efficiency of a 10 turn, and it draws no added power from the pack to do it, but it does place more burden on the controller to buck the pack voltage to the voltage the motor uses during the climb.

Agree that the difference in overall efficiency will be miniscule, only due to slightly increased switching losses (assuming identical controllers).
But maximum torque may be higher on the slower motor at very low speeds because the same maximum phase current can drive the slower motor at higher voltage, thus producing more power.

Thanks for the responses; think, finally, it's clear. The exact same controller unit (and everything else) was used in the "test".

Back