Help setting up Sabvoton and QS-205

pdx

1 mW
Hey everyone,

I'm trying setup my QS-205 build with the Sabvoton controller. I've pretty much followed the steps on this guide, but it looks like I'm unable to connect the computer to the controller properly. My goal is to run the hall test to make sure the motor and the controller are functioning properly (these are all new parts bought from ERT a while ago).

I've made a video so that it is easier to see the problem. As this is my first hub-motor build, I'd love any insight from the more experienced/knowledgeable audience.

[youtube]oetWlddxalM[/youtube]

Thanks!

Some threads that cover some of the start up issue your discribing.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62240&p=1336489#p1336489
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=89161&p=1339353#p1339353

You will need a 1k resistor work around (first thread) if you are not connecting a thermal sensor. Mine showed the red blinking light prior to adding that.

I’m 99% certain it’s due to your ignition wire. If you don’t power cycle via the ignition wire, the parameters won’t save (stupid, I know).

I’m currently working on a third-party communication tool for Sabvoton/MQCON controllers. Hopefully it’ll help you and many others (including myself) in the same frustrating boat.

I’m 99% certain it’s due to your ignition wire. If you don’t power cycle via the ignition wire, the parameters won’t save (stupid, I know).

I learned this the hard way also. Makes sense in hindsight. If power is not connected to controller, how is it going to power the save on the logic side? We need to consolidate the various startup threads on this controller and list all the little details in the various steps- pitfalls.

there is no connection between you laptop and the controller. in the video i see only the tx "led" blinking on the software, and not the rx meaning the software is sending data but not getting a response.

to find the correct serial port. open the device Manager on the laptop, open the tab ports(com lpt). then connect the cable to the sabvoton and see a new port added to the list. that's the correct port to use.

as long as you do not see the battery voltage on the software there is no connection and trying to program the controller is pointless.

hope this helps!

speedmd said:

I learned this the hard way also. Makes sense in hindsight. If power is not connected to controller, how is it going to power the save on the logic side? We need to consolidate the various startup threads on this controller and list all the little details in the various steps- pitfalls.

I’m automating this with my in-development app, FatCON. The goal is to make configuration, both software and hardware, a breeze.

Manny said:
there is no connection between you laptop and the controller. in the video i see only the tx "led" blinking on the software, and not the rx meaning the software is sending data but not getting a response.

to find the correct serial port. open the device Manager on the laptop, open the tab ports(com lpt). then connect the cable to the sabvoton and see a new port added to the list. that's the correct port to use.

as long as you do not see the battery voltage on the software there is no connection and trying to program the controller is pointless.

hope this helps!

Can’t believe I missed that... Great advice! If only the software gave you an error message or something....

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Still can't make it communicate with the motor. Verified the ports, as suggested by Manny - that's all being setup correctly. It just doesn't connect. Will try with the resistor workaround this weekend.

I have a feeling the controller is bad. Any ideas where one can purchase another these days? Seems like it's hard to come by around one.

pdx said:

Still can't make it communicate with the motor. Verified the ports, as suggested by Manny - that's all being setup correctly. It just doesn't connect. Will try with the resistor workaround this weekend.

I have a feeling the controller is bad. Any ideas where one can purchase another these days? Seems like it's hard to come by around one.

The controller’s unlikely to be bad. AFAIK they’re fairly bulletproof. I’m getting closer and closer to setting mine up; my usb to serial cable is arriving in the mail today hopefully which will let me configure my HC-05 module (aka the “Sabvoton Bluetooth Dongle”) which is really just a cheap Arduino passthrough TTL chip. Until then, it just flashes 25 times for “low voltage”, which makes sense because the default max voltage configuration is 1VDC, and I’m pushing 50VDc on the bench power supply into it for testing.

It’s likely to come alive with the resistor workaround. If you don’t have a thermal sensor, it’ll error out.

Also, you can still buy them new on AliExpress. A few traders have the full Sabvoton selection for sale, but expect to pay a hefty shipping charge and never, ever expect technical support.

pdx said:

It can’t communicate to the motor, or you can’t Rx from the serial?

Any luck solving this problem?

I am currently trying to solve the same problem with my SVMC72150 which is connected to a Mars 4201 motor.

The motor turns when I activate the throttle, but I have never been able to connect the Sabvoton to my Windows 10 PC - so the settings I am using are still factory defaults.

The controller has a solid Red LED and no Green error lights. I have the motor's thermistor and throttle connected, and a switch installed between the B+ and the ignition wire (orange wire).

I am using the cable supplied with the controller and have opened it up to make sure that everything looks correct. The COM port(COM4) is set up with the default connection speed of 9600 baud, eight data bits, no parity, one stop bit and no handshaking, but I simply can't seem to get the software to communicate through the RS232 (CH340) cable to the controller - TX flashes in the software... RX doesn't.

Any suggestions on what to try next would be really appreciated! :)

I had two issues - the factory cable was bad and the controller itself was defective/burned. Sounds like yours is fine, so I'd focus your attention to the cable.

I have also one 72150 ,with Windows 10 it not worked I put Windows 7 and OK rx flashing with com1.

I use one qs205 but I do not know the number of kv,how can i know my kv?

my angle of the hall is of 66 it is good?
where i can find a complete stup for motor qs205 With a battery 84v40Ah panasonic

how m any A i can use for weaking flux?

pdx said:
I had two issues - the factory cable was bad and the controller itself was defective/burned. Sounds like yours is fine, so I'd focus your attention to the cable.

Thanks! :)

I focussed on the cable, and found that the controller's USB port ground pin was physically not able to make contact with the cables ground pin - causing a break in the ground connection to the RS232 cable.

Luckily, I had a match for the controller's USB cable available, so I desoldered the USB's wire off of the 14-pin aviator connector and soldered in my replacement (Pins 1, 2, 6 and 7).

The first test after this failed. The only other thing I could think of trying was to swop the TX and RX wires.

Amazingly, after swopping the TX and RX wires... my SVMC72150 successfully connected to my PC! :D

FATCON ever come into anything?

I'm setting here with this same issue and I'm ready to kick a hole in the wall.

TXTXTXTXTX

Back