Controller brake sensor wiring

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
emerson447
1 µW
1 µW

Controller brake sensor wiring

Post by emerson447 » Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am

I have a problem wiring up my new brake lever. My controller has three wires (red, yellow and green) for the brake sensors and I wish to connect up a brake lever which has with only two wires (red and blue). The new brake switch is normally open and operating the brake lever connects them together. Can I wire this up to the controller, ignoring one of the three wires coming out (red 5 volt?) or is it more complicated that that.

teklektik
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Re: Controller brake sensor wiring

Post by teklektik » Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am

emerson447 wrote:
Dec 10, 2017 10:54 am
Can I wire this up to the controller, ignoring one of the three wires coming out (red 5 volt?)...
Yep.
Hall sensor vs mechanical switch....
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am

You have the right idea.

One wire on the controller, most likely the green one, is negative. The other two should be 5v positive.

At the brake handle, each handle needs the negative, and one of the 5v positive wires.

use a voltmeter to figure out which wires are positive.

teklektik
1.21 GW
1.21 GW

Post by teklektik » Dec 19, 2017 11:25 am

dogman dan wrote:
Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am
One wire on the controller, most likely the green one, is negative. The other two should be 5v positive.
At the brake handle, each handle needs the negative, and one of the 5v positive wires.

use a voltmeter to figure out which wires are positive.
As noted in earlier post: OP's answer is 'yes'.
But - 'No!' to DD's post which can get you into trouble.

There are three wires:
  1. Gnd
  2. ebrake signal wire (appears to have +5V on it)
  3. optional +5V power used for hall sensor ebrakes only.
You must use (1) Gnd and (2) the signal wire on the ebrake end *NOT* just 'any' wire that reads +5V.
  • If you mistakenly connect (1) Gnd and (3) the +5V power lead to your ebrakes, you will short the controller 5V regulator when you apply the brakes. The bike will certainly stop but for an entirely different reason than intended....
If your wire colors are completely indecipherable, connect in turn each of the two '5V' wires to Gnd using a 1K to 10K resistor in series with your DMM set on 10ma (or thereabouts). The wire with the lowest current reading is the signal wire. (Don't forget to reset DMM function to something other than 'ma' when done of you will blow an internal DMM fuse next time you try to measure volts :( )
Last edited by teklektik on Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Voltron » Dec 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Short answer is yes.. more complicated than faking it. The last bike I worked on with Hall sensor brakes was a pain.. one piece wiring harness that made it a pain to probe and test, and the controller was looking for a specific voltage range from the cutoffs, so it wouldn't run at zero volts, i.e. disconnected, but also wouldn't run at 5 volts, so just hooking it up to source voltage was a no go.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 20, 2017 8:01 am

Learn shit here every day.

I never heard of hall sensor brake switches, and thought he just said sensor meaning the reed switch.