Are these good tires?

Grider

100 mW
Are these good tires? Has anybody used them? thanks
Link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwalbe-Marathon-Deluxe-26x2-00-MTB-Folding-Clincher-Tire-HS420-Double-Defense/122864846263?epid=737896917&hash=item1c9b50c5b7:g:br0AAOSwRbtaNVgR

All the Schwalbe Marathon series tires are good. Compared to other options, they tend to run heavy and expensive, though.

You can get Panaracer RiBMo 26x1.75", which is at least as tall as the tire you linked to, for $22 each shipped, right now on eBay. For that price difference I know which one I'd buy.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Panaracer-RiBMo-ProTite-Bicycle-Tire-26-x-1-75-Wire-Bead/302400408580

Schwalbe is a good brand; it's just more costly than many others, like for like. I was an early adopter of Marathon Plus and Big Apple, and I still ride Big Apple on a couple of my bikes.

Remember the ride quality of a tire is more closely correlated to the height of the tire out from the rim than to its width. RiBMo stands a lot higher off the rim than most tires of similar width.

There is a RiBMo model offered in 26x2.0", but it's a little narrower and taller than most other tires of that nominal size.

Another tire to consider is WTB ThickSlick 26x2.0". Either the Kevlar-belted Comp version or the more heavily armored Flat Guard version costs $30 full retail at my shop, which is much cheaper than comparable Schwalbe tires.

Chalo said:
Remember the ride quality of a tire is more closely correlated to the height of the tire out from the rim than to its width.
Actually, ride quality is a function of inflation pressure, tire width and sidewall stiffness (thicker side walls typically induce a harsher ride). Narrower tires are brutal when riding chipseal - especially with higher inflation pressures. My suggestions? First.... Consider tire manufacturers that publish construction specs. I prefer high TPI casing (66 and higher, currently running 90 tpi), and a duro (tread hardness) higher than 56. And if street riding is your thing, do NOT use off-road or kobby tread on asphalt. Lately i've been using Vee Tires. Specifically, the Speedster 2.35 folding.

TPI = threads per inch

High TPI dramaticly increases the tire's strength. (Quality road bike tires typically use 120 tpi). This inhibits punctures, allows much higher inflation pressures and decreases sidewall thickness.

I've used Vee Speedster 29x2.35". To me it rides like Schwalbe Big Apple but a little slower. I like the 26x3.5" version, even though it's slower yet.

Tire height is directly analogous to suspension travel. Tire width isn't. Try a tall tire versus a short one and see for yourself.

Chalo said:
Tire height is directly analogous to suspension travel. Tire width isn't
Tire sidewall height has specific limitations (I.e. frame and fenders), so little can be employed to enhance ride quality beyond making sidewalls thinner. Budget, low tpi tires add extra sidewall rubber, which not only increases ride harshness, but adds unnecessary weight to a dramatically weaker tire.

Wider tires verifiably improve ride quality by increasing the contact patch surface area (for surfaces like chipseal and gravel), in addition to increasing air volume, which noticeably dàmpens road vibrations and softens the ride. Can you say, "Ballon tires"?

Back