Do you recognize this hall sensor?

alec

10 W
I'm in the process of replacing the hall sensors inside my Cromotor V3. Yes, somehow four out of six of my sensors have died. I'm likely the most unlucky Cromotor owner on here. After removing the stator, a few observations:

1. There's a lot of magnetic force when dealing with the stator... Yeah, I accidentally got my hand caught between the gear puller and the magnets (idiot alert). Waiting for the huge bruise to appear. :lol:
  2. Realized that I purchased bipolar Honeywell SS441 sensors and not unipolar (SS441A). I've read conflicting statements over which hall sensor the Cromotor V3 actually uses, but it seems to lean more towards the SS441A (unipolar). But this leads me to my main question, stated below (#3).
  3. Somebody, anybody, do you recognize this make/model of hall sensor that's currently in my Cromotor V3 from the factory? My work was immediately halted when I took a flashlight and saw that the markings match nothing to Honeywell...?

ohegbbI.png
CHHb3fB.png

Full non-cropped, obviously higher res photos, click here.

Here's what I see ("?" for unknown):
Code:
? ? / S, 4 5 2

Or possibly:

Code:
2 1 7 S, 4 5 2

My research thus far:

• The closest thing I found, or rather, the only thing including the numbers "452" is the EW452 from Asahi. However, as you see on the datasheet, the markings on the actual sensor are different than what's visible here. Also, I cannot find a single supplier for this EW452.

eBike sleuths, what do you think? :?

4 of 6 halls dead. Seems doubtful. Have you properly tested them? There's probably a Wiki on how to do it. I simply use an enbike tester, since I prefer the easy way and try to avoid opening motors unless I'm doing significant upgrades. If you don't have an ebike tester, get one.

John in CR said:
4 of 6 halls dead. Seems doubtful. Have you properly tested them? There's probably a Wiki on how to do it. I simply use an enbike tester, since I prefer the easy way and try to avoid opening motors unless I'm doing significant upgrades. If you don't have an ebike tester, get one.

It sounds silly, but I actidentally sent a ton of voltage into one set while testing a light kit which killed all three. And on the secondaries, I actidentally broke an arm off one while tinkering with wiring and a second was already failed to begin with. :(

I’ve done further feverish research and am starting to think these are Honeywell SS441A-S. That would explain the S. And the other digits are likely manufacturer dates.

I’m going to keep looking and update my thread if need be for future reference.

I changed all three of my hall sensors after one failed. I had only ran the motor for a few hours, and it packed in. I decided to strip the motor down and rebuild it with decent components. I replaced the bearings for abec 3’s, resoldered and strengthened the original board and reinforced with silicone. The hall sensors have all now been replaced and secured with gorilla glue. After some research I found sensors that would do the job. Here’s an eBay link:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281804272538

They’re much the same as the Honeywell sensors; time will tell, but they’ve lasted longer than the original ones.
Hope this helps.

Cal.

Callykona said:
I changed all three of my hall sensors after one failed. I had only ran the motor for a few hours, and it packed in. I decided to strip the motor down and rebuild it with decent components. I replaced the bearings for abec 3’s, resoldered and strengthened the original board and reinforced with silicone. The hall sensors have all now been replaced and secured with gorilla glue. After some research I found sensors that would do the job. Here’s an eBay link:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281804272538

They’re much the same as the Honeywell sensors; time will tell, but they’ve lasted longer than the original ones.
Hope this helps.

Cal.

Thanks for your input, Cal. I am about to buckle up for round 2 of my hall sensor replacement. Fun stuff, isn’t it?

What motor do you have? The eBay link is sure to help most people, but for the those with the Cromotor, it may be a bit misleading. According to Zelena, you’ll need unipolar replacements.

Just so Google picks up this thread for the poor soul who’s going through the same issue —

The Cromotor (Cro Motor, Cro-motor, v2, v3) uses Honeywell SS441A or SS441A-S hall effect sensors. They are unipolar, not bipolar.

I wish someone had wrote that sentence a week ago when I was going through round 1 of my repair! :p

Back