Battery problem, voltage but no current

sayshell

100 µW
Hi the bms crapped out on a battery so we changed it. Now it's reading around 49 volts, but there is no current. As soon as I turn the display on it drops to zero volts and shuts off. Does anyone know what is causing this? How can there be voltage but no current?

I don't think the connection is the problem, the voltage is reading correctly. The battery pack is about 2/3 charged. We just put on a new bms I think it should be working fine.

New bms might not fix crapped out battery.

Charge full, and get it balanced before you decide its the bms. You might simply be so out of balance that one set of cells is nowhere near 2/3 charged. So the bms shuts it off as it is supposed to.

Right, it sounds like the BMS is doing its job and it's tripped. When it cuts off the output, you will still see voltage if measured with a voltmeter, but it will drop to zero with a load.

You need to check all the individual cell voltages. Most likely there is one that is out of range. I do this by inserting little wires into the BMS connector and attaching them to my voltmeter.

the bms doesnt like the current peak to charge the empty controller caps....a smal coil between battery and controller will wurk.

Joachim said:
the bms doesnt like the current peak to charge the empty controller caps....a smal coil between battery and controller will wurk.

That can happen sometimes too. You'd see a pretty good spark when you make the connection if this was the case. If the BMS is already tripped, you would get no spark.

Back