Cycle Analyst 2.X current sensing suddenly erratic

SpmP

10 mW
Gidday,
I have a 2.Something Cycle Analyst that I use on my elecric car via a shunt.
Has been all good until either:
a) I swapped the polarity of the current sense (was reading backwards)
OR
b) I drilled through the five core wire supplying CA with power, ground, I sense and both speed sense wires.

The symptoms are erratic current measurement in the range of +-0.6A when smoothing by 5, or +-2A when smoothing by 1.
I have grounded the I sense at the PCB with the same result.
Current sensing still appears to work albeit with a large amount of noise.

Any ideas please?
Hoping I have just popped a cap somewhere 8)

Cheers.

If the power was on to the CA at the time of the drill-thru, I'd check with http://ebikes.ca support, but there's a possibility of component damage if the battery voltage shorted to the sense lines feeding into the CA (my CAv3 was blown dead by a short at the exit of the shunt body between battery positive and the speed sense line; it also took out a hall sensor in the motor).

I don't have the schematic to say what parts are involved prior to the MCU that might've been damaged, but Grin does, so check with them first. :)

If power was not on until after the wires were repaired, it wouldn't likely ahve affected antyhing.

Swapping the shunt sense wires only changes the + / - of the reading, AFAIK. You might have to re-zero the shunt reading in Setup, but it wouldn't have erratic readings from that--it'd just always be off by that same amount.

Thanks, I have contacted them.

I am certain that the CA was disconnected from battery and current shunt when I drilled through the cable.
In any case I had to resolder the wires onto the PCB, but very unlikely that I damaged something whilst performing this operation.

Then I'd guess that there may be a bad connection, cold solder joint, etc., on the current sense lines, at one end or the other.

Back