Parallel throttle?

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
Pfnyq
10 mW
10 mW

Parallel throttle?

Post by Pfnyq » Feb 13, 2018 7:32 am

Hello, my controller doesn’t have a separate PAS connector. And I would like to have pas and a thumb throttle. So now to my cuestion, can I parallel the pas and throttle weirs to the throttle output cable from the controller or don’t the pass system work on a throttle connection?
Thanks!

danielrlee
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Parallel throttle?

Post by danielrlee » Feb 13, 2018 8:06 am

Hi

This PAS sensor is unique in the way that it connects to a standard throttle connection:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bik ... Swm7pZu1vQ

As far as I understand, it may be parallelled with a regular throttle to a single input, although I have no practical experience of doing so with this sensor.

danielrlee
1 kW
1 kW

Post by danielrlee » Feb 13, 2018 8:09 am

Hmm.... possibly not so unique. Here's another one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bik ... Sw3pVZu13w

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am

I don't think you can just parallel the two as one could be fighting the other and possibly fry something.

If each signal wire passed through a diode before being combined, then there would be no chance of backfeeding either one. The diode would result in a slightly lower signal voltage though, and might be noticeable.

Another option would be to have a switch somewhere to switch between throttle and PAS. Ideally this would be built into the throttle so as soon as you moved it slightly, it switched over.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

danielrlee
1 kW
1 kW

Post by danielrlee » Feb 13, 2018 10:02 am

Throttles can be paralleled together and for all intents and purposes, these PAS outputs behave like throttles. Since the throttle output signal can source current but it can't sink current, then whichever throttle has the higher voltage signal is the signal that dominates. No diodes should be necessary.

EDIT: The listing descriptions also state they can be paralleled with a regular throttle.

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Some throttles can sink as well as source. It depends on the hall sensor used.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Pfnyq
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Pfnyq » Feb 16, 2018 4:34 am

Thanks for all the answers!
So a standard pas like this on would not work on a throttle connection? (danielrlee)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-Bike- ... autifyAB=0

Is the only difference between magnet count the response of does controllers need a specific number, 5 8 12 etc?

fechter)
I liked the idea of the switch between throttle and pas, i will try all the options ans see what works best!