Crystalyte Controller - No Signal to Motor - Never Resolved

newb

100 W
NEVER RESOLVED - used different controller

Xlyte users, I need some help. Please review the following and tell me what am i missing.

This is an install for a friend/client who could not get this setup to work. Now it is in my hands I can't get it to work either, that's rather embarrassing. This is not the 1st xlyte kit I've installed but have not had my hands on an xlyte controller for a few yrs so maybe something has changed as I am not getting a signal to the motor. Unfortunately, no access to the supplier whoever that is or I would have asked them.

Kit is a new xlyte 408 & new 48v 40a xlyte controller

Problem is with the controller - no motor signal, it is as if the ebrake is engaged.
In fact, i have 2 of the same controller and both are doing the same thing - nothing to the motor (which tested good).

Controllers powers up and throttle voltages are good. I tested both controllers with 2 separate motor/controller testers and only center light flashes which means i have power to the halls. Using the throttle is should illuminate 2 lights that rotate which is not happening. (tested the testers, they work) Used various jumper wires combinations on brakes and pas with luck. Also tested low & high side fets and they are good too.

Confirmed everything connected, is connected correctly. What is connected is the battery, hall wires, phase wires and throttle. Pic below shows additional leads, none of which should need to be connected to allow the controller to function (or so I believe). So what am I missing?

Thx in advance for any advice posted or PMed.

Sometimes when it has three wire hookup for the brake, it's for brake with Hall sensors. That makes it to where just leaving them disconnected still keeps the motor from running... It wants a voltage between 1ish to 4ish volts... And zero volts makes it think the brakes are malfunctioning.

Voltron said:
Sometimes when it has three wire hookup for the brake, it's for brake with Hall sensors. That makes it to where just leaving them disconnected still keeps the motor from running... It wants a voltage between 1ish to 4ish volts... And zero volts makes it think the brakes are malfunctioning.
i'll give that a try, i've got extra halls lying around. thx

I suppose you could wire a throttle into the brake temporarily, then you could vary the voltage range easily to see if it comes on.

I ask the below because the 4-pin throttle connection from these controllers includes battery voltage, which can destroy controllers if connected wrong.

Are the throttles being used the ones supplied with the controllers from the manufacturer/seller?

Or are they third party throttles that could have been wired incorrectly for the controllers' 4pin throttle connection?

Are both the controllers supplied by the client? If so, were tehy both powered on and tested by the client with third party throttles?

If so, it is possible that there is a miswiring that connected battery voltage to the throttle signal pin, and damaged the actual MCU inside teh controller.

On teh Crystalyte controllers I have had that had a 3pin connector for brake, it only used two of the pins, and shorting them engaged the brake. The ones that had a four pin for brake had two pairs of wires, but both connnectd in paralle inside the controller.

However, I have had a couple of Fusin controllers that used hall sensors on the brakes, of the same basic switching kind as are found in motors. (vs those in throttles). IIRC, there was a pullup inside the controller for those just as there was for the motor halls, so without a brake lever they were still pulled high (unbraked), and when the lever was used it would short that to ground to engage teh brake.

I had the same problem.
Crystalyte "forgot" to connect the trottle in to the 6p CA connector.
Just solder the wire from the throttle in to the CA connector.

Thx for the replies, sorry for the delayed response.

@ voltron - thx for the suggestion, no luck. AW's comment about the using 2 of the 3 shorting gnd seems correct as i had noticed this when using jumpers before posting the issue. But since nothing else had worked if was definitely worth a try, thx agin for the suggestion.

@ AW - as always a wealth of info, thx. both were supplied by him and was told both had been tested but only one was tested extensively trying to resolve issue, other was plugged in then unplugged. it could still have a issue but given it is plug and play and that both are functioning the same way, i've been giving him the benefit of the doubt.

@ motormark - interesting, thx for sharing. could you be more specific with regards what was not connected? was the connection needed internal or external? also, as i am not using a CA not sure this is the same; unless you are saying the throttle wire off the main throttle jst was not soldered to the board and the CA wire was and then i could just connect the throttle signal wire to pin 6 of the CA harness. Is this what you are referring too?

Thx Again to all for taking the time to assist me with this issue. Much Appreciated, Zak

unless you are saying the throttle wire off the main throttle jst was not soldered to the board and the CA wire was and then i could just connect the throttle signal wire to pin 6 of the CA harness. Is this what you are referring too?

Yes

@ motor... thanks for clarifying, i hope to try that tmrw

@bois... thanks for contributing but that is not the issue - unless the controllers were mislabeled!!

Does anyone know if xlyte is still making a fixed voltage 72v controller (not multi like 48-72v)?

Am i correct in assuming there is still no way to read the flash (parameters) of xlyte?

Back