2WD - Front hub plus mid drive to rohloff

StuRat

100 W
That's my plan anyway. And I already have the rohloff, so a middrive makes sense there.

Both to be 250w legal (australia) so if I get caught with both at least I can make 2x legal bikes and haven't blown my cash.

Probably the Bafang G01 front hub.
Either TSDZ or BBS01 mid drive.
Will the CA (cycle analyst) play nicely?
Need two batteries?

I've searched ES but can't find anything like this. Anyone tried it?

Surly Troll (rigid, racks, panniers, dynamo hub(for now), rohloff hub, disc AND rim brakes :!: = heavy already. Plus me at 80kg, plus groceries and beer.
30km round trip commute with hills (happy to assist)

One battery will do fine, it merely needs to be adequate to handle the load of both.

CA stand alone will play nice with the battery. But if you do a DP, it will play only with the controller you hook it up to.

However, it might still work for some functions, if you run one throttle on the bike. CA on the controller with all the throttle wires connected, the other controller just using the return signal.

it would not then, measure the watts flowing for both controllers. I'd just rig the CA to do stand alone.

Teklektik has a good thread about 2wd with one CA, even if it's not teh same as what you plan, it'd still basically work.

There's a recent thread about PAS and BBSxx on a velo, that Teklektik posted info and links on getting those to work together as well, in various ways.

Thanks for that. I just fell down a rabbithole of threads!
Man there is a lot of information on here, just a matter of sorting through it. The search function instructions about using + seems to not work??

I run two hub motors and the simplest way to control them is two throttles, or in my case, two throttles + PAS.
I place a thumb throttle on the left and next to it, a half-twist. Opening both is one motion and it's very intuitive and I can still modulate between the two.
100_0028.JPG
100_0029.JPG
Folks have listed many benefits to 2WD, but I have found the main one is, I can run the rear on low enough power that the response is smooth w/out having to have a way of taming the throttle w/ limiting devices(example, a Cycle Analyst). Also, it's possible to have a good pedal assist experience(PAS)w/ even the simplest square wave controller.
Meanwhile, the overall performance can be upped by engaging the frt. motor. Sort of like having two bikes in one.
In your case, a lower powered mid-drive can mean better reliablity.
I have found matching the two motor speeds(performance envelops) makes for a better overall system.
If you go the two throttle route, you would be one a battery away from have two independent systems and a fail-safe redundency to get you home. The frt, battery only needs to be 25% the size of the rear, at least that's the way it has worked out for me. I only use the frt. motor 25% of the time.
Good luck.

Thanks motomech, I like that dual throttle setup, it's easy to imagine how well it would work.

Back