Identify a Bafang BPM motor

ecodans

1 µW
Hi everyone,

First time poster on here so hoping I'm doing this right. Also full disclaimer I'm not very technical when it comes to e-motors but I'm a big time user/believer in the technology. I'm using a Bafang BPM 36V 250W - serial 1306254461 motor on some passenger tricycles and have been experiencing some issues with it. I was hoping I could replace the problematic units entirely, as I got a quote from a local repair guy and it was more expensive than buying a newer unit from Bafang. :shock:

Bafang don't appear to sell the version I have anymore and when I go to look up the model number on the net all the models seem to be the BPM & BPM2, but both feature spoke holes around the hub - whilst the model I have does not.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bpm2&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU750AU750&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja5unx_aTaAhUGiLwKHVeLDG0Q_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=658#imgrc=z3VuRUpQe-SRhM:

Has anyone come across this model before (please see attached photos) and can assist me?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 3.40.46 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 3.40.46 pm.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 678
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 3.40.38 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 3.40.38 pm.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 678
What specifically are the "issues" (presumably failures) you have?

FWIW, those two silver lines on the shell of your motors indicate they were probably manufactured as hubmotors, and then the spoke flanges were machined off. Kinda like the old StokeMonkey Crystalyte hubs-turned-middrive.

I can't see the drive end of your system's motor, however, and it is odd that in the one image that shows the non-wire end, there is no axle there, so it is apparently only supported from the wire-exit end clamp. (single-ended axle hubs are weaker support than double, especially if the drive end of it is unsupported, and most especially if it's mounted by the hollow end of the axle).

Could you post pics of the entire motor/drive system from different angles than presently shown? It would help us figure out what replacement might work for you if we knew exactly how the motors are mounted and used.

Hi Amber,

Sorry about my very late response. You are correct about the flanges being removed by machining them off. I've found out that it is indeed a Bafang BPM2 motor that has been modified so it can work on the e-trikes we operate here in Adelaide.

I've contacted Bafang and they said that they no longer make this model. I've looked at other suitable models but none that have the same dimensions as I need.

Back