Converting a Cyclone 3000watt PLANETARY GEAR BOX mid-drive motor to side mount

fabieville

100 W
I have a Cyclone 24v-72v 3000watt PLANETARY GEAR BOX 300-900RPM mid-drive motor that I want to convert to a side mount drive as you can see in one of the pictures below. I am currently running the motor on 24v on the original mid drive setup powering from off a 24v 30ah Li-ion battery kit.

My current ratio setup is a double chainring setup each equip with 48T and the motor drive sprocket is 14T. The chainrings drives a 14T freewheeI on the bicycle rear wheel. I get about 45kmh on a flat terrain with my weight approx. 160lbs. The torque level now is quite great as I can climb very steep hills but at a fairly low speed and my speed on flat is relatively fast.

I am hoping to match back this same performance but if I am to choose between more speed or more torque I would choose more speed as I commute on mostly flat terrains.

Can someone please tell me what ratio I should use when converting to a side mount drive on the rear wheel.
I want to know what size sprocket in terms of teeth size would be best to put on the motor drive shaft and on the rear wheel to match back the same performance I have now or even better if possible? As I said before I am more going for speed or more speed and it would be nice to still have some torque to climb hill even if I have to do a little pedal assist now and then.

Attachments

• cyclone 2.jpg
    cyclone 2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 782
  • cyclone.jpg
    cyclone.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 782
  • side mounted.jpg
    side mounted.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 782
I’d have to warn you against your idea. The cyclone is just to big and heavy to side, rear mount like the picture you show. The motor in that picture is very small compared to the cyclone. Also there is no ideal gear to give you high speed with low speed torque, that’s why there’s multiple gears in the first place on a derailleur set up. There are some exceptions as with high volt/amp setups.

Mounted as seen on picture, it will stick out nearly 150mm to one side.

That "side mount" would be doable with less protrusion if motor sits above rear wheel, well behind seatpost to clear rear frame arm.
Making mounts to withstand the motor torque is a challenge as the motor will sit too far away from frame.

I would double the battery voltage to go faster and leave ratio as it is.

So basicially it would be best to mount the motor on top of the rear wheel like for example on the carrier that I have at the back and use the same ratio which is a 14t sprocket on the motor shaft connecting to the 14T sprocket that I have on the bicycle hub?

If not suppose I put a 24T sprocket on the motor shaft and then that connect to the 14T sprocket on the bicycle hub would that affect my torque capability to go up hills drastically?
I know that sizing is for speed and I am wondering if with that ratio on a flat terrain the motor would be running at optimum performance like what is happening now? I draw bout 18-22amps on a flat terrain.

If I decide to mount the motor at the side. Would the added weight and outter protrusion cause any issues while riding like balance issues, etc.???

If not suppose I put a 24T sprocket on the motor shaft and then that connect to the 14T sprocket on the bicycle hub would that affect my torque capability to go up hills drastically?
You would have about 1,7 times less torque than in 14/14 setup.

I know that sizing is for speed and I am wondering if with that ratio on a flat terrain the motor would be running at optimum performance like what is happening now? I draw bout 18-22amps on a flat terrain.
At 24V the motor is not running at it performance regardless the ratio.
0_13604a_eee98531_XXL.jpg

If I decide to mount the motor at the side. Would the added weight and outter protrusion cause any issues while riding like balance issues, etc.???
Motor itself weights about 4,5kg, so it would definitely affect your riding performance and not for the better.

Given the data receive. The best option would be to.mount the motor on top.of the rear wheel in the center, just behind the seat post and use the same 14T - 14T setup?

Would this be the same performance like my current 14T - double chainring of 48T which is then link to 14T on the rear wheel hub?

Reason why I want to convert to this setup is because I am trying to avoid from having to change the freewheel regularly on the mid drive setup. Mines goes back regular even thou I use WD40 and oil it regularly.

Back