Quieting my charger

exe

10 W
I use these Kingpan chargers, those 40mm fans with the whine is annoying. So I though today I would swap them out for my 120mm 1200rpm desktop computer fans. Wow, they work and are quiet. Pretty simple I know, but I don't have ghetto skills like many of you here.I don't have a temp gauge, so I don't know if things are cool enough, but I should think there is more airflow with the bigger fan and open top.

I will remove the old fan that is still in there and wire in the new one and just zip tie it. Might angle it by shimming one side of the fan so it blows sideways a little instead of straight down.

Any comments or suggestions?

FullSizeRender%205_zpsaiymdb45.jpg

Seems like you traded the benefits of the case for the benefit of reduced noise and increased cooling. If that was your intended effect, you're golden.

But for any others looking to simply reduce the noise, they could try a quiet 40mm fan:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB944H92008

I actually like the slightly loud fan. It acts as an audible indicator that the fan is on :D

One way to quiet a fan moving a lot of air is to remove the grillework around it, so there is nothing to block the airflow and cause more noise, so it quiets it and it increases airflow.

Increasing the open area at the other end of the charger (removing grillework on the case cover) to be greater than the area of the fan opening will also increase airflow and make the fan quieter.

Won't make it silent, but it'll increase cooling and reduce noise with just the original fan.

Back