Exchanging 2.5 barrel jack with XLR jack on battery pack

aja

10 W
Has anyone removed the DC barrel jack on their battery pack (dolphin/whale/shark) and fitted an XLR jack? I'm thinking of doing so as looking at the Satiator charger for it's fast charging capability. Most of the time I'll charge to 80% but for long journeys or multi day trips I can see the 7A charge facility that the Satiator provides as being quite useful (e.g. quick pitstops/coffee shop only open a short while to be able to charge up on the go etc) I have been informed that the DC jack might not be able to sustain beyond a 5A charge and without a Satiator to test on my battery pack I won't know till I try. I may have to buy the DC cable and if it doesn't work then either charge through the Anderson connectors or try and rewire the DC jack with an XLR jack. I can't bring my recumbent bike inside in most cases to charge, so charging through the Anderson connectors would be more difficult.

First, you should make sure your cells (and BMS) can actually handle the higher charge rate without detrimental effects (cell heating causing degradation and reduced lifespan/performance, BMS charge FET heating that could cause BMS failure if it cant shed that heat).

Theres probably enough room in there for the xlr, but youd need to open your case and check behind that spot to be sure theres clearance for the xlr, so no wires or whatever are interfering with the battery itself, or other parts inside the case.

If you dont mind it sticking out a bit on the outside, youc an get about 3-6mm less depth (depending on battery case thickness) to worry about fitting inside the case, by mounting the xlr female from the outside, rather than from the inside.

If theres no way to fit the xlr where the present jack is, you might be able to mount it in a different flat surface area (side, top, front, etc) and then just tape over (or glue a bit of plastic over) the present jack. Or even leave the present jack as-is for the old charger and add the xlr in paralle with it.

If all else fails, you could add a comletely external xlr, glued, taped, or otherwise mounted to the battery case, with its wires running into the case thru a small hole (perhaps even where the old jack was). For this you could use a panel mount xlr female in a little box, or you could use an inline xlr female like the various Satiator adapters use (even using one of those adapters and just cutting off its non-xlr end, then use those wries to connect where the old jack used to be).

Back