Controller "smooth start" removal?

Sinterpuck

1 µW
The topic might not be perfect by any means but i don't really know what to say to be exact in so few words.

I just built myself a bike (Scott Voltage FR10) with a 1500w hub motor kit (running it at 2000w) from AliExpress and im running a 52v 27ah battery with it, the reason i built this bike was so i could go riding in the woods/trails but the controller has a really annoying "smooth start" function that makes the bike really bad for this kind of riding, basically it has a 0.5sec throttle delay and then it ramps the power very smoothly witch would be perfect for a road bike but not for a off-road one, if i let go of the throttle while under speed and give it full throttle again it takes around 1-2sec before it goes back to full power.

I have to get instant power so i can give it max power instantly so it can help out lifting the front wheel before jumps etc.

This is the controller that im running right now.
Is there any way to deactivate the soft start or do i simply have to get another controller?
If i have to get rid of the controller then could you guys help me out finding a new controller for my needs? It needs to be able to run 52v and around 2000-2500w atleast, a eBay link or a AliExpress link would be awsome.

EDIT: After reading a bit i came to the conclusion that my controller is a torque controller and not a speed controller and that torque controllers ramps the power smoothly.
The circuit board in the controller has "kte-18s5-2rx-a" marked on it witch leads me to this link http://www.szktdz.com/en/news_show.php?article_id=503

I have the same problem with kt controlers.
I read that your controller can run sinewsave or square wave. If you disconnet the hall sensors so it run square wave the soft start is the same?

I am shearching for a new controller by the same reason...

If its a programmable controller, it might have options to change the startup curve, or eliminate it.

Otherwise, youll probably have to replace it with a different one.

Unless the description clearly states what kind of throttle ramping and power application it uses, there really isnt a way to tell how it will behave until you install it. Theres a lot of different translations of smoothstart or softstart or ramping, and some of them dont even resemble the actual function. :( Most dont even list any of that at all, cuz the sellers have no idea and/or they just buy batches of stuff and post them up for sale, so the specs may change even though the posted ad text itself does not.

Torque throttles vs speed throttles dont mean one has ramping and the other doesnt. A torque throttle simply controls the power to the motor, and a speed throttle controls the speed. A torque throttle at full applies full power to the motor, and so does a speed throttle.

A torque throttle at half applies half power to the motor. A speed throttle at half applies half pack voltage to the motor. And so on.

Any ramping could be aplied to either kind, and is a separate controller feature.

Most of those controllers are programmable, but you would need the right software to change the programming.

If you open it up and look at the board, you could see if there is a programming interface. The Xie Chang (Infineon) software might work, might not.

Antenor: Im not sure what happens if i try to run it as a square wave, i have to change some setting for it to run then so i have to look into that.

Amberwolf: Thank's for that lesson, that helped me out in general =)

Fechter: I can program it with my display, it's a KT LCD3 but i can't change any setting that get's rid of this function.
Im not really sure what im looking for on the circuit board but im guessing it's some pins or could it be the cables that go to the display perhaps that allows me to change some settings?

If its a KT Kunteng Kun Teng controller, you might check out Casainho s thread about open source firmware replacement for those. It might do what you want.

In my controller i will try one thing...change the trothle from current control to speed control...P3 option set to 1, to see what happend, but i gess that that dont solve the problem...but i will try and post the outcome

From what i look at, we have the grin controller. It can run sensor or sensorless, but is not a programable one, and the feedback is that is faster off the line (for tune it only with CA).

the seconde option are the infinium from em3v, they are programable with a cable that they sell. A good option but we have to choose the version with hall sensors or without. I would like to have the option to chose between runing with hall sensor or without, because in off road use hall sensor might fail e then you have to come home unnisted :)

There are also the option from kelly controllers, but i dont have any information from this one...but they look like a very good produt

As they are cheap, i am thinking in by a Ku123 controller, but from what i read the Pas function is useless, and for the road i like the pas...is more confortable that modulatte the trothle all the time

Back