Battery Lead Failure

cetary

100 µW
Hello Everyone,

It's been a little while since my last post. I feel a bit upset. This morning I take out my ebike and no power whatsoever. I go in and check the leads running from the battery, and it looks to be stranded cabling that failed. The insulation is definitely starting to fail right at the case from the daily battery pack removal. I charge up at work and at home. Yesterday I was having issues with the power seemingly just cutting out, or the bike not starting, part of that issue was the bullet connectors not making contact because the plastic on the connectors blocking the electric contacts. So my plan was to remove those and replace them with some soldered XT90S's this weekend, but then the battery cabling failed entirely as mentioned above.

Part of me really wants to pursue a warranty with Leafbike, but I don't think that would really be possible. Since I switched the controller to a 2KW model, that battery no longer meets the continuous amp requirements.

Hello,

can you post a picture of the failure? If I understand correctly, you may be pushing the battery leads beyond what they were rated for. On top of that, if you are also exceeding the maximum discharge rating of the battery, you will kill that battery in no time. How many amps discharge is the battery rated for and how many amps are you trying to draw from it? Any idea what gauge of cable the battery leads are?

Yeah,,, changing the controller pretty much ended your warranty on all of it. Debatable whether the cable matters on that, but in general, they will balk if you modified it in any way at all. Can't blame them on that, you would not believe the claims that come in.

The upside though, is no reason now not to modify the battery cable now. So get some better wire, better connectors, and fix it.

Back