faster ebike chargers

superebike

1 mW
Dear all,

Has anyone any actual experience with using faster battery chargers?

For example, I have a 48v 15ah battery and it comes with a 2 amp charger. I could order a more expensive 4amp or even 5,6, or 10 amp charger, and charge much,much quicker.

Any ideas, actual experience out there?

Thanks

Sure you can. Most cheapo China BMS can handle 5A. Beware of 10A, as some cheap XLR plugs can get really hot.

This depends on the charge rating of the cells used in your battery pack. Multiply this with the number of parallel cells in the pack. Both values can be found by looking at your battery's datasheet, wich should be provided by the mfg of your battery pack.

Unless you know what you're doing, always ask the mfg for a charger suitable for your battery. No offense, really, but since you are asking this question it may be wise to ask the mfg for advice since a wrong charger might cause your pack to burst into flames. I've had this happen numerous times myself and i promise you battery fires are one of the most intense fires i've ever encountered.

Thanks Patrick and all, no offense taken!

My supplier said they recommend the 2amp charger as anything bigger can lessen the battery life cycles. I will try to get the specks of the parallel cells in the pack to do what you said Patrick. Thanks.

But the supplier tends to be over cautious with things in general, so I was just seeing if anyone has experience and what they dare use-10amps seems to risky definately.... So maybe 4 amps is ok...

Definately not looking for a battery fire!!

Thanks all

Back