1 GW
Sub-Subject: StumpJumper with one pedal, almost biffed my nads :cry:
20180606_184132-2656x1494.jpg
Specifically:
I have a bunch of Square Taper cranks,
gave away my "other types" to an enthusiast,
a sub or super-set appear to be cataloged here:

Ohhhh Kaaaay... Looks like I am shopping

Reference: Cross-linking Outside Sources of Information, trusted sources, vetting information, folding in the information

- sidebar

Sheldon Brown

shelbrown.gif
Source: http://biketouringnews.com/advocacy-awareness/sheldon-brown/

(If you dont know who he is, I suggest taking the time to get to know him. He inspired me, taught me how to lace wheels, and guided my perspective on forum conduct, even years after death). I believe Sheldon would have us share information freely in celebration...

Continuing the aside I met him thru THIS post while troubleshooting a "Softride" with a cracked head tube. It was the first time I ever heard someone use the phrase "Well Meaning Alarmist"... A very powerful phrase... and a phrase which guides my personal "safety code of conduct" while working on dangerous things.
1494209363softride_001.JPG

Now I dont usually consider "pedals" to be a big safety blip on my radar... but then my pedals dont usually pop off at 35mph :shock:

SO
(And here the reader should be wondering... "are mine going to pop off?")
(Here I tell you to PAY ATTENTION to how your bike FEELS - I felt it coming on - distinct wobble like a bent crank feels)
(That was the cross-thread-wobble-rounding I felt - it was a clear indicator that I will never ignore again)

I am not a "bike riding expert"
(yea I am, way over 10,000hrs, but I defer to others opinions should they wish to shout me down with expert testimony...)
but - my understanding has become that we "ride the bike on our feet" (not on our ass!) so at any given time my legs are slightly bent, my center of gravity is low, I am attempting to keep my CG (me) on as stable of a trajectory as possible, I am letting the bike (kick and bounce and buck) underneath me... I am 100% dependent on the reliability of my pedal (I use huge waffles), crank (no opinion, just not so long that they hit the ground in a hard lean), and bottom bracket assembly (whatever its called...)

SO
Failure can occur in several places
Failure for me occurred at the threaded interface between the waffle and the crank arm
Part was installed by an intern (no idea if cross threaded)
Pedal came from a previous build (Tadpole Trike)
Crank (aluminum) came from the sketchiest track bitch on the planet (Likely already thrashed)

SO
Remember to share your FAILURES along with your SUCCESS so this body of information does not become hazardous. This forum is a protected R&D cesspool (lol petridish) where we (using the true scientific method) explore new subjects, set up experiments, validate others experiments, etc.

This is NOT a forum for agendas other than those which serve to educate and advance science.... in that flavor... please try to keep an honest balance and not hide risks and dangers. One of the ONLY WAYS the "clowns" can shut us down is if we misrepresent the risks of our hobby leading to harm.

Has not happened, will not happen, FIRE AND FAILURE
(Thats my topic selection now that I have already made the rounds a few times)
(Warn and educate your brothers and sisters!)

Carry on ladies and gentlemen
(including ladyboys, boyladies, aliens, non-sexuals, nerds, etc - of course and always)

Most Importantly -
DO NOT EVER
EVAR
LET SOMEONE SHUSH YOU IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!

SAY IT HOW YOU HAVE TO SAY IT
USE OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE IF YOU HAVE TO
MAKE A FEW RUDE REMARKS IF NESSESARY
GET OUT WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY

Its a preservation of Free Speech thing
Its real important on a global level
This is a safe place to speak

There is not such thing as hate speech (its all in context, tone, intent... which is a perspective thing... but anyway) so yea you will get shushed if you spew hatred about the color or sex of people... basic rules around "non-ignorance"... but for the most part... this is a forum where truth is shared freely and globally with an emphasis on TRUE SCIENCE which is not pre-shit-on directly by Government or Business (I.E. anything can blossom here)

-methods

Back