Security switch

I'm new to ebikes, so don't know a lot.
I noticed that then the 3 hub motor wires are shorted there is a high level of resistance when you turn the hub by hand.
I was wondering would it be ok to implement a switch that disconnected the controller from the hub and shorted out the hub, this would make it harder for people to steal the bike, because of the rolling resistance.
Regards Chris

This is something that would work fine, but before shorting the phases at the motor, its crucial that your controller is completely disconnected. Short an energized controller and you often blow it.

The problem is a switch that is handling as much current as the motor wires carry, could stick in the connected position. Best way to implement this idea is to unplug the phases, and use a jumper plug to short the phases. Yes,, a thief could simply pull the plug. But chances are tweakers who steal are not aware why the bike is dragging. The plug could be placed in a hard to see place, like under the seat or something.

It might just be more effective to use multiple locks, like chain it, and have a fork mounted lock too. And lets face it, there are a great many places you simply can't leave a bike, period.

A switch that can handle the necessary current would be quite large physically. Leaving the phase wires connected and having a switch that just shorts a pair would work except there would need to be some kind of interlock that prevents the controller from coming on when it's shorted. This could be done with a multiple pole switch.

Even if the phases are shorted, you can still move the bike but only slowly.

Back