Which Bafang Mini to replace my Bionx PL350?

crichman

100 mW
My 36v Bionx battery was recently repacked but the bearings on my Bionx I2C PL350 motor are shot. (Arguably, so is Bionx.)

Justin suggested the Bafang Mini G310 as a replacement and it looks like an excellent choice. I'm having trouble choosing the right winding for me. I've been spending too much time with the simulator (especially now that I found the PL350 motor in it.)

I ride a 26"-wheeled recumbent 14 miles each way to work. No killer hills (ok, one that's a few yards long.) Mostly modest grades; most of those grades are on a MUT where speeds much above 20 mph really aren't appropriate.

The standard wind appears to have about the same top speed on the flats as the Bionx motor (23-24mph), generally superior torque throughout the range, higher efficiency below 18mph and lower efficiency at cruising speeds. It should be fine.

I'm considering the faster wind as an alternative. It would be great to have a somewhat higher top speed (27-28 mph) in traffic with my 36-volt pack. Torque still seems roughly comparable to the Bionx, but efficiency at cruising speeds would be lower still.

I've seen plenty of threads warning about the disadvantages of fast winds. As I look at the standard and fast winds for this motor in the simulator it looks like the differences are fairly modest ones. Would I regret forgoing the extra speed of the faster wind? Or the extra efficiency and torque of the slower one? (I plan to mod the Bionx battery and reuse it.)

Back