Hub motor wiring

Planning on upgrading to a Mxus 3000w v2 hub motor and wondering if it would be a bad idea to do my mod on the new motor aswell. On my current cheap hub ive ran one of the phases through my stator and axel in order to have more space in the axel (riveted the wire of one phases to the stator itself and squished the wire comming from the controller between the washer and nut on the axel)

So far it's worked am amazingly with 0 issues. But as far as i know im the only one thats done this and im curious as to why. Can any of you think of any issues?

It's generally avoided to have any power wiring attached to the frame so in the event a single wire anywhere in the system gets pinched or shorts to the frame, nothing happens. By using the axle as a conductor, if any wire anywhere else touches the frame, something will blow up.

You may be able to use better wire for the phase wires that has thinner, tougher insulation and get a more copper in the same space. It's only where it passes through the axle you have a space constraint. You can attach heavier wire just beyond where it comes out of the axle so the skinny part is as short as possible.

Or modify the side cover to use a much larger ID bearing on the wire exit side, and a spacer between it's ID and the axle, with large holes in teh spacer for whatever wire gauge you want.

Wires no longer run thru axle at all that way.

Been a few threads over the years about it, but I don't remember if anyone has actually finally done it.

Starting to lean towards a mid drive now due to the hilly terrain here. This probably isint the place to ask but figured it'd be better to ask here then create another thread haha... So do I close/delete the thread when I'm done and my questions have been answered? Or just leave it? (I'm new here)

The only stuff you can delete are your own posts--but if you do that, you remove all the reason for anyone to reply or help, as it removes the info someone else could use to know this thread might answer their own similar question.

Speaking of similar questions, there is an ongoing thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94683
that may help you decide about middrive vs hub. There's lots of that kind of thread if you look around.

Back