Can the Sabvoton 72V (specifically 72150/72200) controllers run higher than 90V?

atarijedi

100 W
Looking at different battery configurations, I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not the 72xxx series Sabvoton controllers can run at a higher voltage than 90V? Specifically the 72150/72200 controllers, since they are the same afaik, with a firmware tweak.

I can build a pack up to 24S with my BMS, which would be nice, but at a full ~4.1V charge that is 98.4V, and I am assuming that Sabvoton put a pack limit at 90V because they are using 96V capacitors? But hopefully not, hopefully they are using something larger, like 108V.

Then I was thinking 22S, but that puts me at 90.2V, and if the Sabvoton controllers use firmware to detect this threshold, than I'm out of luck.

So with all that said, I am wondering if anyone here has gone above the 90V and it still works? Or will I need to contact QS or Sabvoton and see if I can get them to change it to 91V in firmware?

You can ''tweak'' a cheap Xie Cheng/Infineon type Controller easily, but not Kelly/Sabvoton. In order to ''tweak'' values beyond stock would require you to reflash some custom firmware to the microchip. Which you cannot access through the programming port located outside of the Controller.

If you want to run above 90V you can go with the Sabvoton Classic, it can handle 95V. Or buy the 96V version.

If the 96V version doesn't have enough current handling capability, you can try to fool the current sensor. I've only seen this performed on the Sabvoton classic by shielding the current measured wires with some aluminium foil I believe. But as I recall it only worked for short bursts because the controller has another way to measure current.

eee291 said:
You can ''tweak'' a cheap Xie Cheng/Infineon type Controller easily, but not Kelly/Sabvoton. In order to ''tweak'' values beyond stock would require you to reflash some custom firmware to the microchip. Which you cannot access through the programming port located outside of the Controller.

If you want to run above 90V you can go with the Sabvoton Classic, it can handle 95V. Or buy the 96V version.

If the 96V version doesn't have enough current handling capability, you can try to fool the current sensor. I've only seen this performed on the Sabvoton classic by shielding the current measured wires with some aluminium foil I believe. But as I recall it only worked for short bursts because the controller has another way to measure current.

What is the "classic"? Is it just the SVMC style?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SVMC72150-controller-for-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-with-bluetooth-adapter-for-the-not-free-shipping-country/1389549_32887159553.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.1.20685cf7xIk8Te

I see that the one QS sells can do up to 95V on the 72V model.

But I can't quite remember where I read that about the newer ones with tft Screen, that can only handle up to 90V.

Either way, you aren't going to be able to overvolt any of the ''Smarter'' Controllers.

Back