aluminum life span

t_tberg

100 W
I'm considering purchasing a 2003 specialized big hit frame. The frame appears to be in good condition, however, I have heard concerns about aluminum in the long term. Is the structural integrity more dependent on usage over that 15 year period, or the time itself? Many people rave about the strength of this frame, it supports a 24" tire which is perfect for the 19" moto rim hub that I have now. Any thoughts on purchasing an older frame like this?

I think they last pretty much forever if you don't ride it. It's the metal fatigue from flexing that may eventually cause cracks to form. Excessive loading (weight, bumps, jumps, etc.) is what will cause it to fail early.

Yeah, its not the years. Its the miles ... so to speak.

From all that I've been able to find, the concern about aluminum frames is a great example of a simple truth being extrapolated beyond its likely relevance.

The simple fact that gets abused is that aluminum has no fatigue limit. That means that it is impossible to design an aluminum component that will not eventually fail from cyclical stress.

The abuse of this fact comes from ignoring at least three things.
1) Reputable frame builders are well aware of the issues with aluminum and engineer accordingly so that material fatigue failures are unlikely for the normal life of the bike.
2) Builders using steel and other materials may or may not build their frames so that fatigue limits are not exceeded. And if they don't, the steel or other material framed bikes will eventually fail also.
3) The reality is that real world failures are more likely to come from problems in manufacturing (good welds, was heat treatment compromised, do designs properly minimize stress risers, etc.) or from damage in use than from the material used per se.

The simple fact regarding aluminum fatigue limits is insufficient on its own for anyone to know if a frame is likely to be long lasting and reliable.

So look for a frame from a quality oriented company first (You've done that). Beyond that, probably the most important thing to do if you are concerned about frame failure is to carefully inspect the frame for cracks and damage. Maybe bring it to a bike shop and pay them to inspect it. They'll probably know more about what to look for and be better at spotting problems. Other than that, a robust, stiff heavy duty mountain bike frame should be perfectly fine. Though if you plan on modifying the frame, most hobbyists find steel much easier to weld or braze.

Since it's Specialized it may have a lifetime warranty, which is great if it breaks (unlikely). My 18 year old GT aluminum frame is still going strong, and just converted with a BBS02.

Thanks for all of they replies, if I follow through do you think I should replace the bushings? I don't have any experience with full suspension bikes, I've always found hardtails to be an economical compromise (less upfront cost, less maintenance, greater reliability). But these factors always mattered a lot more when I used an e-bike as my only mode of personal transportation. This bike will be designed more for fun than for commuting needs. Are there any suggestions for other frames similar to this one? I know I've seen a few 03 BH builds on here before..

Back