Help needed taming throttle on Kelly Kbs controller. Picture inside

brumbrum

100 kW
Does anyone have prior experience with throttle settings on kelly controllers?
I have a lmx161 dirt bike recently built. The initial power delivery is fierce, and the first cm of movement on the hall throttle makes it very difficult to control the bike at low speed or to get a small punch of power without getting it all on one big lump.
Here is the programming page that i think will help change the throttle characteristics, but i am not sure where to start. I have it set with the smooth setting on as in the image below with exact same values on the sliders (which are the factory settings).

Any ideas or previous experience appreciated

2dw7nmu.jpg

eee291 said:
I would try to increase throttle up/down rate by just a little, helped me a lot.

I did lower it to 7 from the factory setting of 3. I think it just made the throttle response have alonger delay when when first pulling. Very distinctive pause between pull of throttle and power kicking in. So i have put up to 1

I'm just making this up, but looking at that pick, is it normal for 'low acceleration' to be set the same as 'high acceleration'?

Having no idea, just guessing, if I were you I would at least try lowering the setting on 'low acceleration' in the hope it would lower the power delivered when only applying a small amount of throttle.

I'm probably wrong though. Worth a shot?

After testing: The throttle up/down rate lengthens and shortens the dead zone at the begining of the throttle movement, so turning it down to 1 is best.

The 'Low accel' i have lowered from 100 to 50 and this has made it easier to control over the first half of the throttle, but it has as a consequence lowered the top peak amps a little but only by about 20amps down to anout 130.

I have had no chance to try anything else. Please be warned that any of these adjustments should first be tried with wheel off the ground. I firstly tried turning 'Low Accel' down to 1. The result was a throttle that turned the wheel really slowly for the first half of throttle movement and then like a switch went all out full power. :lol:

I've been curious about this as well. I just bought a Kelly KEB72 (made a recent post here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95029).

Does anyone know what any of these settings mean? I see no docs from Kelly, I'm going to email Fanny to see if they can provide more definitions. I'm also going to tinker with these settings some more tonight and tomorrow, I'll post what I find.

NeedForSpeed said:
I've been curious about this as well. I just bought a Kelly KEB72 (made a recent post here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95029).

Does anyone know what any of these settings mean? I see no docs from Kelly, I'm going to email Fanny to see if they can provide more definitions. I'm also going to tinker with these settings some more tonight and tomorrow, I'll post what I find.

Thanks. :D

Here's what I heard back with. I haven't fully digested this yet as I might have destroyed my battery last night as it won't take a charge :(

Smooth:
Here is the explanation for smooth setting.
We added smooth control in the user program.
It is used to set up the throttle map by customers.
The deflection point will divide the low speed and high speed on the throttle map.
We added the smooth control parameters in the user program.
When you enable the smooth functions,you will see five more parameters.
You can adjust the low speed acceleration and deceleration rate, and high speed acceleration and deceleration rate in the user program.
The inflection point is at the joint of low speed and high speed.
But this new software version needs the new firmware and hardware to support.

Usually you can set deflection point at 10.
Low Acc rate is 100
Low Dec rate is 127
High Acc rate is 100
High Dec rate is 127

The deflection is used to define the point for low speed and high speed.We assume the max inflection point is MAX.
For example, if we set up the inflection point at 10, we think the range below 10/MAX point is low speed area, the high speed range is above 10/MAX.
When you adjust the inflection value,you can determine which point is the joint for low speed and high speed range.
Different motor or motorcycle will affect the value of MAX.I can not let you know the accurate rate.

So we can accelerate and decelerate the motor at low speed range and high speed range.

Low Acc rate is Low speed range acceleration performance rate.If the value is high,that is to say,the controller will accelerate the motor very fast at low speed range.If the value is low,the acceleration is slow or gradual.
Low Dec rate is Low speed range deceleration performance rate.If the value is high,that is to say,the controller will decelerate the motor fast,the motor will stop quickly after throttle is released.

High Acc rate is High speed range acceleration rate.
High Dec rate is High speed range deceleration rate.
The explanation is the similar as above.They only just located on high speed range.
You can assume the value is just the response time.There is no unit for the value.Sorry for that.
Different motor,cars will provide different results under the same value.
You need to tune up the parameters according to every vehicle data in real testing.

Back