Re-program cheap chinese controller?

Hi guys,

Is it possible to re-program any of these cheap controllers that come with budget-bikes?

I have two of those Ancheer bikes incoming and I'm guessing the controller is like this:
file.php

I've seen people configure their Bafang controllers with some kind of USB-kit and wondering if the same would be possible for these units?

The main thing I want to change is the PAS-modes so that instead of being 100% power up to XX km/h for the different levels, I want the assist levels to be 20 > 60 > 100% (3 levels) power for no speed limit. That would make the most sense.

You can check some of the other threads about programming generic controllers and see if any of them have useful info.

This list has some of those threads, but not evertything is relevant (I already filtered out sevcon and kelly; you can filter out others if you like)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&keywords=program*+control*+-sevcon+-kelly&sf=titleonly

Unfortunatley there's (at least) thousands of different designs, possibly hundreds of thousands, and the software from one doesn't usually work on another. So unless you get the software from the controller manufacturer, you probably can't even talk to the controller, much less change anything.

Sometiems even with the right software, you still can't change it, because some controllers are simply not programmable.

If you want to be absolutely sure of being able to change stuff, you'd have to buy controllers you know can do what you want, and get the programming kit with it at the same time.

amberwolf said:
You can check some of the other threads about programming generic controllers and see if any of them have useful info.

This list has some of those threads, but not evertything is relevant (I already filtered out sevcon and kelly; you can filter out others if you like)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&keywords=program*+control*+-sevcon+-kelly&sf=titleonly

Unfortunatley there's (at least) thousands of different designs, possibly hundreds of thousands, and the software from one doesn't usually work on another. So unless you get the software from the controller manufacturer, you probably can't even talk to the controller, much less change anything.

Sometiems even with the right software, you still can't change it, because some controllers are simply not programmable.

If you want to be absolutely sure of being able to change stuff, you'd have to buy controllers you know can do what you want, and get the programming kit with it at the same time.

Thanks Amberwolf!

Seems like it's not as easy as I thought ;S

I had an Ebike before and with the LCD-Display I could select Battery Voltage, but for this Ancheer bike, it's just an LED-display for setting pedal assist modes. I was thinking to put a 48Ah battery to it - do you know if that would just be plug&play? According to the sticker on the controller it should be 36/48v compatible, but not sure if I need to change anything else other than just connecting the 48v battery?

Nickelodeon said:
I was thinking to put a 48Ah battery to it - do you know if that would just be plug&play?
I don't know of any generic stuff that cares or even knows how much capacity (Ah or Wh) a battery has.

According to the sticker on the controller it should be 36/48v compatible, but not sure if I need to change anything else other than just connecting the 48v battery?
Some controllers are automatic; I guess you'll find out if it just works. If it wont' allow the motor to run with 48v, but does with whatever other voltage you have, then you'll know it's not automatic, and requires some chnage in either programming or on the circuit board inside (possibly soldering a jumper).

I think what you are wanting is Current control for the PAS, rather than the speed control that those factory controllers comes with. And I have only seen that w/ the "torque imitation" feature available w/ the "sine wave" controllers and their various displays. I'm not sure if the controller has to be a sine wave unit to have the 5-level Current control, perhaps it is only a matter of that feature being introduced when the sine waves came out.
I have used both and frankly, I'm not sure those bikes have enough speed and power to make much of a difference. It's w/ higher powered bikes that the Torque Imitation system really benefits. When a bike tops out at say, 20 mph, 3 speed ranges are enough to not leave any gaps and w/ a system of less than 1000 Watts, when the rider selects a higher speed range, there isn't much of a tendency for the system to try and "rush" up to the next speed level that happens on a speed controlled PAS used on a high power system. Maybe the biggest advantage of the TI PAS, is it eliminates the 1 1/2 sec. delay for engagement/disengagement that the speed limiting system has. But even that is not much of an issue. I don't ride on PAS all the time and when I am on it, I have learned to "goose" the throttle for a sec until the PAS catches up. And as for disengagement, I simply hit the ebrake. Even more so, I usually reserve PAS for that long straight stretch where I can get enough leg work for one ride.
As far as speed control vs. Current control, if the PAS levels relates well to the crank speed, I don't think it really matters. My #2 PAS speed matchs my leg/crank speed well at a point where I can add a mph or two w/ my legs.
Frankly, I suspect there will plenty of areas to spend money on upgrades on those bikes other than the controllers, but if you like to use PAS all the time and want to do it, I would suggest you look at the new KT controllers avail. here;
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?
PSW Power is really a big vendor that used to be called elifebike. They have the best selection of 15 to 20 AMP sine wave controllers.
Be advised, changing the controller on a "factory bike" often requires more changes than replacing the connectors. I would suggest waiting till you can look at the controllers and see where all the wires go before ordering new ones.

Back