BBS DCP14 Full Color Screen dead??

unclejemima

100 W
I was using my BBSHD with DCP14 full color screen for a quick spin. Shut it off...then tried to turn it back on and it would not power back up. I though "aw crap, I fried the controller" or something.

Luckily I had a older model C965 screen on another bike I was able to hook up to my BBSHD and low and behold it fired and worked fine. Phew!

I had a electrical buddy come over and we were able to verify the power button from the DCP14 is working...so the screen must have just shat the bed.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do...or just get a new one and that's it? I program my controller from time to time and the cable is a bugger to pull out that connects the screen to the controller...perhaps one of the wires came loose in the connector? I really don't know i'm just trying to think of what the heck happened?

I'm running a Lectric Cycle setup. Can I use any brand (luna for example) DCP14 screen? Or even a C961 ( i used to have 2 floating around) if I can find one?

The two most likely things are a bad or broken solder joint inside the display, and a wire broken somewhere along the cable, usually at whatever teh sharpest bend or most pulled/stressed point is.

Either way you'd have to open up the display to check--visual for the solder, and continuity for the wires.

But it could be almost anything.

Thanks amberwolf,

Is there companies that can repair them?

I tested with another screen, and the bike worked...so it if it were the cable, it would be the short 6" cable between the screen and the plug going to the controller.

I'm not sure the odds of broken wires, I really didn't pull that hard but the connector was a bugger tight to get off. I'll open the back of the display up as well...but there is a healthy amount of epoxy or some sort of sealant what looks like it would make it fairly difficult to pull a solder joint loose inside the display, but anything is possible.

I never had an issue with my C961's of old. Could I use a C961 with my BBSHD? They were virtually indestructible and not so fancy.

Back