Shifter & Derailleur for DNP 7-speed Freewheel 11T-28T

harmonist

10 W
Just wondering if anyone knows if the answer here, I've got the DNP 7-speed Freewheel 11T-28T which apparently has 9 speed spacing and is 1:1 actuation.

I'm looking at 7 speed shifters and thought it would be nice to get a derailleur with a roller bearing clutch and cage lock etc.

So does anyone know if this shifter SRAM GX DH X-ACTUATION TRIGGER SHIFTER
https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/Product/180134/sram-gx-dh-xactuation-trigger-shifters

and this derailleur SRAM GX Type2.1 Rear Derailleur - 10 Speed
https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/SADRRN6GX/title/sram-gx-type2-1-rear-derailleur---10-speed

Will work fine with that freewheel?

I could go with the old sram x9 type 1 derailleur and x3 shifter as a backup but would be nice to get some of the newer features available.

Cheers all!

harmonist said:
Just wondering if anyone knows if the answer here, I've got the DNP 7-speed Freewheel 11T-28T which apparently has 9 speed spacing and is 1:1 actuation.

First off, 1:1 actuation is a feature of certain shifters and derailleurs, and has nothing to do with the freewheel.

Second, what makes you think your freewheel has 9-speed spacing? It would be significantly narrower than a normal freewheel if it did.

7-speed freewheels have 5.0mm intervals between sprockets. 9-speed cassettes have intervals of about 4.3mm.

I doubt you will find any clutched derailleur and shifter that will work with 7-speed.

harmonist said:

I'm looking at 7 speed shifters and thought it would be nice to get a derailleur with a roller bearing clutch and cage lock etc.

So does anyone know if this shifter SRAM GX DH X-ACTUATION TRIGGER SHIFTER
https://www.evolutioncycles.co.nz/Product/180134/sram-gx-dh-xactuation-trigger-shifters

and this derailleur SRAM GX Type2.1 Rear Derailleur - 10 Speed
https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/SADRRN6GX/title/sram-gx-type2-1-rear-derailleur---10-speed

Will work fine with that freewheel?

I could go with the old sram x9 type 1 derailleur and x3 shifter as a backup but would be nice to get some of the newer features available.

Cheers all!
First off, sheldon Brown is THE source for everything bicycle and they cover gears, gearing, shifters, etc in great detail.

I'm on either my second or third DNP(Either a 7 gear or a 8 gear) and what I've found mixing parts from different systems works. The reason is, w/ a hub motor, you are not going to using many gears, 2, or at the most 3 and most mish mashs can be adjusted to work over a narrow gear range. Sometimes I don't shift at all and think of the Enoch as a big, heavy expensive single gear "fixie" and even w/ 2WQD, I think your system is more powerful. I would be suprised if you end up shifting at all. I think I am currently using a 7-speed DNP w/ 9 speed deraileur/shifter and it shifts fine thru 4 or 5 gears so I would suggest you try the free wheel w/ what you have before ordering parts.
I did read somewhere(perhaps SB), that the DNP, due to it's "shark-fin" teeth can achieve
smoother shifting by adjusting the deraileur up close and slightly forward relative to the free whl.
The DNP gets a lot of flack here and I used to be on that band wagon, but the last one I got shifts really smooth and free whl.s w/ little noise. I downside as I see it, is when the 11T sm. gear wears out, one has to buy another complete free whl. They are riveted together and don't come apart easily.

Cool thanks for the info guys, I read somewhere someone was saying it was 9 speed spacing, obviously wrong info, good to know.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying momotech, at the momennt I'm only using a couple of gears as it is, usually just the 1, I've got a new battery and frame (eeb frame with 72v 30ah 30Q battery) which I'm moving the motor over too so just need to throw some new shifters on it, my old bike had the type 1 x9 derailleur and x7 9 speed shifter and that worked fine with the DNP freewheel so maybe I'll stick with something along those lines since I know it works.

Thanks for bouncing ideas around, helps! :)

7 speed freewheel = use 7 speed shifter but a 9 speed shifter will probably work well enough

Current derailleur is fine its the shifter that determines actuation and how far it moves between gears

Back