Vertical play on new frame???

Dirt biker

100 mW
I have vertical play in the shock bolts. Holes in upper shock mount are 8.2mm holes in lower mount is 8mm. What should I do?

I have vertical play in the shock bolts. Holes in upper shock mount are 8.2mm holes in lower mount is 8mm. What should I do?

You have to tighten the bolt to clamp the crush tube. The shock should be able to rotate freely with the bolts torqued up. The bolts must not be able to rotate or move!

What if they're already tightened? Is it possible to tighten them too much? My previous bikes never had play in the shock even when the bolts were not fully tightened...

If the bolts are tightened there shouldn't be any play. If there is still play it would be from the mismatch between the axle tube and eyelet of the shock.

The bolts should be tightened so that the axle bush gets clamped between the flanges of the shock mount on your bicycle frame. Then the axle bush and mounting flanges are "as one". The shock should be able to rotate over the axle bush and NOT the bolts!
Make sure the inside diameter of the axle bush is appr. the same as the holes in the mounting flanges.

Thank you for explaining, that was very helpful. It's the upper shock mount that has play, the holes in the mounting flanges are 0.2 mm larger than inside diameter of the axle bush. On the lower shockmount there's no play and the mounting holes are the same diameter as the axle bush.

Back