BBSHD Stock Fuse

hyperdrive

1 mW
I just bought a new BBSHD and it now comes with a fuse in line with the positive power input. It looks like a glass fuse and is encased in adhesive sealing heat shrink so I can't see what the rating is on it. Does anyone know what the current rating is on this fuse? I'm debating whether to keep it or get rid of it if it is going to blow sometime when I'm on the road. I don't want to take it out of the heat shrink because then I'll lose the water seal.

Are other people running fuses on their BBSHDs? I never had one before, but then I also had a controller fry to a short circuit and almost destroy my battery so maybe it is a good idea. Just don't want to add more ways for the thing to fail on the road/trail unless necessary.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Well stock bbshd power rating is max 60v 30a so I bet the fuse is 35a. This is probably to keep people from running too much power through them without buying the “ludicrous” version.

Yeah, could be. I just hope they gave it enough headroom to account for temperature etc. Ran it at 30A for a while and no issues yet...presumably it has to be sized to handle at least 30A with some headroom or Luna could not sell it with a 30A programmed controller.

Actually not a bad feature. I had a controller fail and create almost a dead short across the battery input, made a real mess of my battery connector, and I suppose could lead to a battery fire.

Back