135mm Pasion Hub motor doesn't fit in 135mm dropouts

BAZ

100 µW
I've recently purchased a cassette hub motor kit from Pasion Ebikes. I carefully read all the technical documents before purchasing and they specified that the hub's axle was 135mm between flat points each side. Perfect, as I measured my dropout gap to be exactly 135mm.

It's arrived and after putting on the cassette and measuring the distance, the size I've measured is at least 145mm with no washers and the gears rubbing on the frame. There's no way it will fit in my standard 135mm dropouts unless I bend the aluminium frame out of shape. I've contacted Pasion and they've told me that all hub motors are like this and that I should just bend the frame. Is this a normal size hub motor or are they having me on?

RBYjonR.png

v70m7xS.png

If it's 145mm from axle shoulder to axle shoulder, even without the cassette on there, it sounds like they don't have a clue what stock they actually have vs what they advertise.

There's a wide range of axle-shoulder widths on different types and brands of motors, from <100mm for small folding bikes, to well over 150mm for moped/motorcycle motors (whcih some people use on regular bikes).

If they don't actually sell what they advertise, you should be able to get them to take it back for a full refund. If they refuse, talk to your payment broker (bank, paypal, etc), and show them your data on the differences and the replies from the vendor.

Then get something that will fit the bike, from a reputable vendor that does list correct specs, like Grin Tech, EM3EV, etc.

Thank you for your response, I think it's been listed incorrectly as I have found identical-looking hubs on eBay listed as 145mm. Unfortunately the seller is refusing to admit they mis-sold me the product and claiming all cassette hub motors list 135mm but are 145mm and need stretching to fix, which is just an outright lie.

I've started the dispute process so we'll see how far that gets me. I'll have a look at contacting payment processors too.

Do they state that you can use a 9 gear cassette? :shock: Is it advancing the width over the axle shoulder? I have a freewheel, and it's 6, maybe 7 gears max depending on the gear spacing...

It's not a free wheel motor it's a cassette and they do specify 9 speed cassette is ok

Well, they aint lying that cassette makes a typical hub motor take 145 mm. They are lying that you should have expected 145 mm when they told you 135 mm.

I would bend out the frame on a cheap bike, but not an expensive one. FWIW, you don't need 9 gears once you have a motor, but to get 9, find a freewheel motor that is 135mm, and put a 9 speed freewheel on it.

Thanks dogman for clearing that up :) the frame I've got isn't a cheap one so I'd rather not bend it that much. They've offered me a 135mm freewheel hub motor for postage cost so I'll go for that and slap a 9 speed freewheel on. Leaves me with a cassette hub motor 145mm with Shimano cassette available for eBay!

My Pasion fits 135mm dropout but I only have 7sp cassette.

It is very tight even with 7Sp, no way it would work with a 9 speed on there.

You need to buy the washers to fit on the axle to let the Freewheel move freely if not their free will will rub against the frame back at off of the frame even the aluminum frame it should be able to be pulled out slightly. Or if not put a 7-speed on there with 11 tooth so you can pedal at high speed and fit the frame

Back