How to connect wire to battery busbar

n1866878

100 mW
Hi,

We're in the process of assembling around 195 18650 cells in order to power our ME0909 PMDC motor at 48V. It's rated for 100A continious and 300A for 30 seconds.

Our cells will be joined together by massive bus bars and there will be two main bus bars - each being able to carry 150A, giving us a total of that 300A. I'm using 2/0 AWG wire. My question is -

Q1 :What sort of connector/lug/adaptor to I need to put onto the bus bar in order to join the wire to it?
Q2: How exactly do I join it - do I just use a ton of solder?
Q3: Since there are two bus bars - each carrying 150A each - that means two wires. Eventually, those two will have to combine together. Do you know of any "Y splitter"'s for 2/0 gauge wires that I can get? What's the common way of joining together two wires?

All 2/0 AWG.

Jon NCal said:
I would suggest Burndy compression lugs.

Oh. Are those just standard lugs? As in, can I just crimp the wire to one end and then drill a hole on the bus bar to mount the flat side of the lug?

n1866878 said:
Jon NCal said:

Oh. Are those just standard lugs? As in, can I just crimp the wire to one end and then drill a hole on the bus bar to mount the flat side of the lug?

Yes, but the lug has to fit your cable gauge exactly and you have to use a crimper with jaws made for that type of lug. Bus bar often has double row of holes for 2 hole lug.

Jon NCal said:
n1866878 said:
Jon NCal said:

Yes, but the lug has to fit your cable gauge exactly and you have to use a crimper with jaws made for that type of lug. Bus bar often has double row of holes for 2 hole lug.

Ah. I'm using a 70mm2 lug for my 2/0 AWG wire which is 68mm2. This one to be precise
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Tube-Terminals-Battery-Starter-Cable-Lugs-Eyelets-Tags-Crimp-70mm-Cable-/191926498818

I'll just crimp the 2/0 AWG wire on one end and screw in the other end onto the bus bar. We'll have two bus bars, each carrying 150A at max. So I'll eventually need to combine those two seperate 2/0AWG wires together - how do I do that? Are there any Y splitter type things?

Back